[SBE] Questions about IP multicasting

Joel Wilhite joel.wilhite at harmonicinc.com
Fri Dec 22 19:26:28 EST 2017

You said - There's a router at the transmit end, and a router and the receive end, but I have no idea how many routers all this traffic is passing through to get there.

“Routers” block UDP Multicast by default. Switches are not routers but can be taught a few tricks.

I'll have to give Wireshark a try.
Yes!  Set the input to filter the packets for your multicast ipaddr = = 239.xxx

I do not recommend using any multicast up in “239” land as other product use some of those ranges for their garbage. Simply move your multicast output address down to a value below… e.g. 238.xxx.xxx.xxx

As pointed out by others, if you are mixing control link and multicast traffic on the same STL link, then look into creating a GRE tunnel (VLAN tagging) if your terminating points will support it. Multicast will flood a VLAN with the exception when IGMP v3 is enabled between all the gear or with a “rendezvous point” or listener or in Cisco Speak, a “snooping querier”. A VLAN set to “PIM sparse” on any cisco or HP or DELL with enough horsepower to handle spanning tree will support all this good stuff.

[cid:image002.png at 01D0DF52.370F3440]

Joel Wilhite
Senior Systems Design Engineer

4300 North First Street
San Jose, CA 95134
T  + 1 408 490 6403
M + 1 408 839 5948
www.harmonicinc.com<http://www.harmonicinc.com/>
Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/harmonicinc>  |  LinkedIn<https://www.linkedin.com/company/harmonic>  |  Twitter<https://twitter.com/HarmonicInc>

There's a router at the transmit end, and a router and the receive end, but I have no idea how many routers all this traffic is passing through to get there.

I'll have to give Wireshark a try.

Curt Yengst, CSRE

Engineer

732-770-3054

[Image removed by sender.]

Star 99.1 Mission: To love, honor, and serve God, our listeners, supporters and staff. (Luke 10:27)
Star 99.1 / WAWZ(a service of Pillar of Fire, a not-for-profit, listener-supported 501-c-3 organization) has been serving families in the NJ/NY/PA area for over 80 years.