[Techtoolslist] Fluke 9100 hard disk write errors

Corey Stup Corey at Stup.net
Tue Jan 2 13:34:55 EST 2007

> So i decided to do just this, looked on ebay, only thing i thought of that i

> would find a small scsi drive in was an old mac... sure enough i won a mac

> SE on ebay and went to go get it from south london on the train heh. I

> thought it might have a 40 or an 80 meg drive, sadly it has the stock

> components, 1mb ram (256k simms) and a 20meg scsi hard drive... and when i

> booted it up, it sounds suspiciously like the fluke......

I usually just buy bare drives themselves on eBay, but i guess you got a
"free" SE out of the deal!

> but the problem now is that i can't seem to format it from the service disk,

> which format option should be used to format it? old setup was western

> digital/miniscribe 8425... options are :

> - western digital / miniscribe 8425

> - western digital / tandon tm362

> - adaptec 4000 / miniscribe 8425

> - adaptec 5000 / miniscribe 8425

> - rodime 6052 with disconnect

> - rodime 6052 without disconnect

> - rodime ro3057s

> after choosing to format under any of these configs, I get a further option

> of formatting with dma or without dma, which option should be selected?

You need to use the V1.4 service disk, which has the "scsi format"
options. You'll set it to a generic SCSI drive (either 256 or 512 byte
sectors), instead of all those specific options. The setup/format
utility disk you're using doesn't have the correct options for
formatting a generic SCSI disk.

> also, might i be missing something on the scsi ID setting, would this cause

> these sorts of problems? it came from the mac, so would assume id:0 .. is

> this what the old mfm controller tells the scsi interface that its plugged

> into? or is it another id?

HD0 maps to device 0 with the standard device descriptors that Fluke
provided, and yes, thats what the MFM adaptor maps to. The tape backup
would run device 1 if you installed that externally.