[Techtoolslist] HP 5420

CRC technobug at comcast.net
Fri Oct 10 20:52:48 EDT 2008

On Oct 8, 2008, at 12:02 PM, John Robertson wrote in thread "Fluke
scripts...":

> With the current economic times I see that repairs will be a larger

> portion of peoples interest and that how quickly we can fix older 8

> or 16 bit equipment (think industrial controls) can help all of us

> cruise through the next couple of years...

I'm in that mode - attempting to resurrect an old HP 5420 Digital
Signal Analyzer (aka spectrum analyzer, albeit low frequency) to save
a couple of thou on the purchase of a used equivalent. I'm trying to
find Vol IV of the documentation set that has the schematics for the
beast as well an image of the control tape - the unit boots from an
internal tape. The cassette bands have gone south, the cassette
capstans have turned to goo, and it looks like the tapes themselves
are failing.

Any help or referrals will be welcomed.

CRC