[Techtoolslist] Atari 6502A NOP adapter

Colin Davies colin.w.davies at btopenworld.com
Thu Feb 5 15:25:39 EST 2009

Its basicaly used to exercise the addresss bus on the board...(The cpu
constantly runs the nop instruction which is hard wired - so it 'counts'
through all memory locations).. By using a signature analyser on various
lines on the board, is is possible to produce useful fault finding
information....

For instance... if say A15 was faulty down stream from the cpu (maybe due to
a driver IC or a short) - it would produce a differnt signature than a
working board.... you could also test eproms and such to an extent...

Hope this helps.... I'm sure someone can provide a much better
explanation.... Cheers, Colin