[Techtoolslist] Logic levels question 6502A (Missile command)

Martin White martin at guddler.co.uk
Sun Nov 6 18:29:58 EST 2011

I've had this on a Missile Command before. There's a LOT of various things that all hit on the data bus. If the wrong thing's getting enabled at the same time as you're trying to do a ROM read or check then you can see trackball data and allsorts in the results.

Pain as it was to do, the way I got around it was to snip the enable line of every single buffer that was directly connected to the bus until the phantom data went away, at which point I'd found the source of the problem.

Not desperately scientific, but it got the job done.

Personally I find Missile Command's to be an absolute nuisance!!

Martin.

On 6 Nov 2011, at 23:22, David Shoemaker wrote:

> There is something definitely going on odd with the data bus.

> I pulled all the roms and verified the pull-up resistors were good.

> I used the fluke to read address x7000 which should read FF as there is no

> rom there.

> I get a 00 read. If I hit repeat I get something else (like 3F), if I then

> hit loop it shows me some changing values then settles on FF.

> So there is something somewhere hitting the data bus at the same time. But

> using the probe on Address sync I am not finding any LS244's that are

> selecting at the same time. Going to go through them again on data sync.

> I may actually need to pull the logic analyzer out for this.

> Any suggestions on debugging this would be welcomed of course :)

> Thanks,

> David

>>> failure.

>>> One thing about the rom test failing is the signature is not constant.

>>> Any other suggestions?

>>> Thanks,

>>> David

>>> Robertson

>>> Sent: Saturday, November 05, 2011 2:20 PM

>>> To: Technical Tools Mail List

>>> Subject: Re: [Techtoolslist] Logic levels question 6502A (Missile

>>> command)

>>> of

>>> address

>>> Don't forget the Fluke pod has it's own address and data line buffering.

>>> There are notes about watching out for that in the pod manuals...

>>> Input Low Voltage ..... 0.8V max.

>>> Input High Voltage...... 2.0V min., +5.0V max.

>>> Output High Voltage ... 2.4Vmin. with loh = -250ua

>>> etc. (Page 1-4, 6502 Instruction manual)