[Techtoolslist] Old test equipment kits...Alpha's IC tester.

John Robertson jrr at flippers.com
Fri Sep 7 16:03:49 EDT 2012

John Robertson wrote:

> I just received an interesting piece of late 80's technology. An

> in-circuit Digital IC tester (kit). Made by Alpha it is a Z80 based

> tester that clips over the IC in question and lets you know if it is

> working correctly. I suspect it is not unlike the Bug-Trap (HP) Logic

> Comparator. You need to key in the logic table for each IC that you

> wish to test (up to 24 pin), and it stores these in non-volatile RAM.

> Seems to work and I shall post the manual, Eprom, and stored RAM

> (Dallas) eventually to TTL's FTP.

> Originally published in Radio-Electronics in November and December

> 1987 as a kit or you could buy it assembled for $399US.

> John :-#)#

(Well, I wrote that in 2005 and was always intending to read the
code...but too late! I just unpacked it today as I wanted to see if it
could help me with a service dog and it is dead, dead, dead. The battery
backup had failed...

Bummer.)

Well, that was the wrong Bill Green. Am now hunting other possible
options to track him down...

Full name of the unit is ALPHA ELECTRONICS Corporation, Merritt Island,
FL - DYNAMIC INTEGRATED DIGITAL IC TESTER

So, does any one have this device? The chip used (under the DO NOT
REMOVE label) is Sony CXK58256P-12L - mounted in a socket that was to
make it equal to a Dallas DS1230-104. So it is 256 X 8 CMOS RAM.

I'm assuming the battery gave up as I'm only getting 0.3VDC between pin
28 and pin 14...

John :-#(#