[Techtoolslist] Samdisk looks very promising...

John Robertson jrr at flippers.com
Mon Nov 26 22:08:30 EST 2012

David Shoemaker wrote:

> Do I need the service disk to format my machine to use 6.1?

Unfortunately the answer is Yes - you need a unserialized Service Disc
for 6.0 or 6.1 to format your drive or CFC card. I don't know if there
is a workaround other than a good image from a 6.1 drive - like one I
have but haven't gotten around to uploading to TTL yet. You would need
to use some image software like Miray's HDClone, or the free(?) Dolly,
or similar. OSX folks may be able to use the Disk Utility to make the
image, but you will need SCSI if formatting a drive, but you should be
able to use one of those USB to IDE adapters otherwise.

I'm not having any luck yet with using a CF and my SCSI to IDE adapter -
which works fine with hard drives, but can't handle the CF for some
reason...

Trying to track a copy of Service 6.1 down. Mucking with the Serialized
copy on TTL gives me CRC errors so I can't fix it easily. Looks like
each sector is C6Fh in length - not sure where the serial is added
though...darn.

John :-#)#

>>> 83 Cyls, 2 heads:

>>> 250Kbps MFM, 16 sectors, 256 bytes/'sector

>>> Then it started a list of what looks like info per track:

>>> 0.0 0 8 1 9 2 10 3 11 4 12 5 13 6 14 7 15

>>> 1.0 0 8 1 9 2 10 3 11 4 12 5 13 6 14 7 15

>>> The first digit is the tracknr., the second the headnr. The other nrs are

> the sector numbers.

>>> All tracks show the same info.

>>> For tracks 80,81,82 it reports <blank> So it looks like the format is

>>> 80 tracks.

www.flippers.com