[Techtoolslist] FLUKE 9100A SCSI to CF Adapter - Success with Stratos CF AZTECMONSTER

John Robertson jrr at flippers.com
Sun Mar 3 14:01:38 EST 2013

John Robertson wrote:

>> techtools-steve wrote:

>>> I received a couple emails inquiring about the SCSI to CF adapter I

>>> used so here are the details. Everything you need is currently

>>> available at a reasonable price and the physical installation was

>>> rather painless.

>>> The adapter I used is the Stratos CF AZTECMONSTER and you can buy

>>> one direct from Japan http://www.artmix.com/CF_AztecMonster.html but

>>> I found it easier and with significantly cheaper shipping to pick

>>> one up on ebay. There were multiple listings for the board on ebay

>>> yesterday but it appears each had multiple bidders and closed above

>>> the starting price.

>>> My FLUKE 9100A has the V6 roms installed and was configured using

>>> Service Disk 1.4. I have successfully loaded the v4-1b software

>>> with the v6.1 update pending availability of new disks (hint-hint

>>> Andre)!

>>> http://arcadehacking.com/public/fluke/FLUKE9100A_CF_AZTECHMONSTER_01.jpg

> [...]

>> Well, not so far!

>> I have been unable to get any of my 9100s including the 9100FT/68030

>> to recognize the Aztecmonster with a Transcribe 128MB CF card at all.

>> Keep getting errors when the unit tries to format the drive. The

>> cable and machine handle a regular SCSI drive just fine so I have to

>> wonder if you have anything unusual in your setup.

>> I get this error with the AzetecMonster:

>> "Error Setting 512/Sector Format" followed by "sensekey:05

>> additional:26"

>> Using an ACARD ACE7720U with an IDE to CF adapter I get this error

>> message...

>> "Can't seek to track 0" followed by "sensekey:05 additional:26"

>> Any SCSI experts here who can interpret these messages?

>> I've tried other CF cards, but all I had were 512MB and larger, the

>> 128 was the only 'small' card here.

>> Thanks!

>> John :-#)#

> Just tried some "SMART Modular Technologies" 64MB cards and still no

> joy. Has anyone else been successful with the AztecMonster and if so,

> which brand and size of cards did you use?

> Steve, I see that you used Kodak 128MB successfully, have you tried

> any other cards?

> The manufacturer of the AztecMonster has been of little use, in

> response to my question:

> I'm sorry, but I must be doing something wrong...the device is not

> working in my application which is to replace a regular SCSI hard

> drive in a piece of Fluke test gear - the 9100 series of

> microprocessor testers. Two of my Fluke 9100A units (both of which

> boot fine from the hard drive and can format regular SCSI drives) fail

> to format the CF card.

> I get the error message "Error Setting 512/Sector Format" followed by

> "sensekey:05 additional:26"

> The operating system is OS9 (industrial, not Apple).

> I hope you can help solve this!

> He replied:

> Dear Sir.

> Please try to use slower and lesser volume CF card, such as SanDisk

> 256KB. Best Regards. Manabu Sakai

> - artmix

> So I said:

> Hi Manabu,

> I've tried a Transcend 128mb CF card with no change in the results.

> The test equipment this is being used for is Fluke 9100, runs OS9

> (68000), and an early SCSI interface (1989 design). What else can I

> try? The SCSI interface WILL format SCSI hard drives - currently the

> hard drives I have tested with the same setup are Conner CP-3040 and a

> CP-3080, and both formatted successfully. I hope you have some other

> suggestions - perhaps a jumper needs soldering, etc? The Aztec appears

> to require the "T" setting (Drive 0) to work - which matches the hard

> drive settings.

> Thanks!

> John :-#)#

> However his reply to this was:

> I am sorry to say that I do not advice any more. Best Regards. Manabu

Further on this issue, I contacted Manabu again with more explanations
of how I tested it and he said to send the card back for a checkup -
here is a note from him this morning (he is sending it back Priority
Mail too!) :

Dear Sir

I tested your returned CF AztecMonster. It seems that EEPROM error
is occurred. I replaced the ROM. Please try it again.

So, it seems that the card EEPROM was defective, once it arrives I'll
test it again with various CFs that I have accumulated and let you folks
know the results.