[Techtoolslist] Eprom checksum

John Robertson jrr at flippers.com
Mon Apr 1 01:56:30 EDT 2013

On 03/31/2013 6:36 PM, David Shoemaker wrote:

> Working on a Midway grid. Board is reporting bad checksums on some roms.

> The roms have checksums written on them (factory labels with handwritten

> info).

> Put a rom into my EMP20 (which I have never used for this size rom before)

> and then had it calc the checksum. Doesn't match the notation on the label.

> Loaded a mame rom set into the software and got a different checksum from

> both my rom and the file.

> Doing a file compare against the rom loaded into the buffer and the rom in

> the socket shows dramatic differences.

> I tried this with one of the roms that the board is reporting as good and

> got the same kind of results.

> So now I don't know what to trust.

> I wanted to calc the checksums of the mame rom images but can't figure out

> what tool to use (running windows here).

> Any help appreciated.

> David

Hi David,

ROMSUM (DOS based) or ROMIdent (Windows based) are the answers to your
question...ROMSUM gives you a checksum of any file that is run through
it, ROMIdent compares the ROM image with it's data file to see what game
it belongs to. As I recall it also gives a checksum.

Download ROMSUM from:

http://www.flippers.com/exe/romsum.zip

Or ROMIdent from:

http://arcarc.xmission.com/Utils/Rom%20Ident/