[Techtoolslist] Fluke 9010 vs 9100

Andrew Welburn andy at andysarcade.net
Tue Jul 22 12:14:31 EDT 2014

  If you're just interested in running tests on arcade hardware to find
basic faults then the 9010 + FIDE is ok, you're hardly ever likely to
tax that setup.

  If you want to create guided fault analysis, or want to dig deeper
than the length the CPU can see on a board, then you can use a 9100 with
is many accessories and its custom troubleshooting language.

  A read of the plethora of the 9100 manuals (on the TTL FTP) will show
you what the 9100 can do, which - for most arcade stuff, is way more
than most hobbyists need.

  9010 stuff is common and scripts are shared, there's already lots of
stuff out there and of course the ever useful FIDE with lots of script
examples to get you jumping right in. The 9100 doesn't work like the
9010, it was ten times as expensive, ten times rarer, and by its very
nature, its not easy to share programs from. The user base is much
smaller too, and the learning curve on the programming language is much
greater.

Andrew Welburn
http://www.andys-arcade.com