[Techtoolslist] Kurz Kasch test fixture cards on eBay

Andrew Welburn andy at andysarcade.net
Thu Feb 19 12:24:05 EST 2015

years ago i actually built a joystick interface for missile command with
a couple of 555's . I found it was possible to simply pull the DIR input
high or low to choose your direction and pulse the CLK input on each
axis with a 555. This worked in u/d/l/r direction, but when you went
diagonal, the cursor would shoot off in the opposite direction. Never
quite figured out why, but i was cheating to make it work anyway so it
was not a surprise it didn't entirely work.

It was crude, but it allowed me to usefully test missile command PCBs
enough to fix them on my bench.

  These days i use a PIC microcontroller i programmed that properly
translates a digital joystick input in to all types of trakball and
spinner outputs. Different games count the controllers at different
rates, so i've also got a pot that adjusts the speed of the output
signals so that all games are playable (for adequate testing purposes
only). Its all mounted into my testrig :)

Andrew Welburn
http://www.andys-arcade.com