[Techtoolslist] Kurz Kasch test fixture cards on eBay

Andrew Welburn andy at andysarcade.net
Tue Mar 3 16:45:45 EST 2015

  The PCB inputs expect 2-bit gray-code, this is easy to accomplish with
a case statement detecting joystick inputs and incrementing or
decrementing a couple of variables accordingly (the binary
representation of the number is the gray code itself).. you just OR the
two direction variables together and output the 4-bit number to some
pins in one shot, giving you single a trakball interface. Add a pause to
the program loop by reading from an ADC input with a pot hooked to it
and you've got yourself a variable speed digital joystick->trakball
interface :)

Most modern PICs are so fast that the clunky case statement and
high-level interface language does not affect the speed. I first wrote
one of these for a 4mhz pic and it was useable but never quite fast
enough. Now it runs at 64mhz and is faster than most games can handle,
which is great, you can slow it down or speed it up accordingly.

Andrew Welburn
http://www.andys-arcade.com