[Techtoolslist] v6.1 dd image 9100a question

Andrew Welburn andy at andysarcade.net
Mon Dec 28 13:11:49 EST 2015

There's no sub for the video card.. and they are tough to find. Took me
about 5 years to get one.

  I would recommend using the system with the front panel first, really
get to know its functions and capabilities with that first, don't rush
in to feeling you need to get the programming interface before you
understand everything else on it. The programming learning curve is
quite steep as it is. Even when i had the programming interface all
setup, i still used the front panel mostly until i had developed some
time-saving programs years afterwards. To this day, i still breakout
into using the front panel every now and then, its super quick and easy
when working on unfamiliar pcbs, instead of trying to program something
up, plus is neat and compact, with a display and keyboard right there
instead of having to get out the keyboard and plug it in, and switch to
using the video monitor output.

  YMMV, but my recommendation is to use it from the front panel and
don't chase after the programming stuff right away if you are a hobby
collector. You are missing *nothing* from the functionality of the
machine if you don't have the keyboard and videocard yet. Obtaining
those parts does open up a vast world of possibilities for sure, but
those possibilities come at a high cost of your time needed to learn the
language and write programs that work, tailored to the UUT. The
time/effort cost versus reward on that part very often outweighs itself.

Andrew Welburn
http://www.andys-arcade.com