[Techtoolslist] Restoring Old Console Plastic...

Jess Askey jess at askey.org
Sat Feb 20 17:06:42 EST 2016

Hey everyone...

Seems like there has been lots of information out there for a few years on how to use Peroxide based bleaches along with UV in order to remove the 'yellow' from old plastics. I decided to try this on my 9010A because it had been sitting idle for quite a long time in the sun of Colorado and was pretty badly yellowed... Attached is a before and after photos if you are interested... it took me about 4 hours to do this and I would say the results are pretty good. I did have to do some extra steps as the peroxide cream I used (I had the '20%' strength version from Sally Beauty supply, and probably should have tried to find the 40% cream instead) left sort of a mottled bleaching pattern... I ended up bleaching with the peroxide cream twice with a total time in the sun of about 5 hours. Afterwards, definitely some improvements but it is inconsistent and actually didn't look that great. I still had some deep yellow areas. I decided to pull out the acetone at that point to see if I could potentially blend in the differences and it actually just seemed to strip off the yellow layer quite nicely. I used paper towels and acetone a few time to get things looking good, then some Novus plastic polish and that was where I stopped.

Anyway, looks much nicer... time to try it on my Data IO 29B now!