[Techtoolslist] Restoring Old Console Plastic...

Jess Askey jess at askey.org
Sun Feb 21 16:25:12 EST 2016

-----Original Message-----
From: Techtoolslist [mailto:techtoolslist-bounces at flippers.com] On Behalf Of John Robertson
Sent: Sunday, February 21, 2016 10:42 AM
To: Technical Tools Mail List <techtoolslist at flippers.com>
Subject: Re: [Techtoolslist] Restoring Old Console Plastic...

On 02/20/2016 2:06 PM, Jess Askey wrote:
>> Hey everyone...
>>
>> Seems like there has been lots of information out there for a few
>> years on how to use Peroxide based bleaches along with UV in order to
>> remove the 'yellow' from old plastics. I decided to try this on my
>> 9010A because it had been sitting idle for quite a long time in the
>> sun of Colorado and was pretty badly yellowed... Attached is a before
>> and after photos if you are interested... it took me about 4 hours to
>> do this and I would say the results are pretty good. I did have to do
>> some extra steps as the peroxide cream I used (I had the '20%'
>> strength version from Sally Beauty supply, and probably should have
>> tried to find the 40% cream instead) left sort of a mottled bleaching
>> pattern... I ended up bleaching with the peroxide cream twice with a
>> total time in the sun of about 5 hours. Afterwards, definitely some
>> improvements but it is inconsistent and actually didn't look that
>> great. I still had some deep yellow areas. I decided to pull out the
>> acetone at that point to see if I could po
>>tentially blend in the differences and it actually just seemed to strip off the yellow layer quite nicely. I used paper towels and acetone a few time to get things looking good, then some Novus plastic polish and that was where I stopped.
>>
>> Anyway, looks much nicer... time to try it on my Data IO 29B now!
>>

>Hmm, seems to me you are just removing the protective dirt! You should see my motorcycle!
>
>Nice job though, next the pods!
>
>Oh, and if you want to post pictures etc. please try to limit the message size to 2mb, otherwise the system asks me to authorize the msg.
>I am still restricting the size of messages in case some folks are still on dial-up (OK, that is unlikely these days!)...
>
>John :-#)#

Yeah, about those pods... these seem to be too expensive these days and I don't have any, saving up for the $400 6802 one on ebay next... saw a 6809 pop onto ebay the other day with a buy-it-now @ $900... gone in like 15 minutes I believe.  Sheesh!

Also, just another noted on the plastic cleanup... the acetone works fine on the main body as it must be a stronger polycarbonate type of plastic or something but you gotta be careful, I got a little on my power button (the green plastic) and that stuff melts away fairly instantly, so be careful. I Luckily noticed this pretty early and didn't have any issues.

On the message size.. I wasn't sure what the limit was but did get the warning email too after I sent it... thanks for the heads up.... I will try to keep my phone photos a little more tame in the future... sorry to you modem folks.. :-)