[Techtoolslist] Data IO 29b issues

Tony Jones tony at tonyjones.com
Tue Feb 23 16:56:20 EST 2016

Has anyone succeeded at using a USB->Serial adapter with their Data IO 29b?

I'm using a Prolific USB to serial adapter because the Lenovo X200s
laptop I earmarked for bench use doesn't have a native serial port
(not available on the docking station either).

I initially was using Windows 7 x86_64 but that required running
Promlink under dosbox which was generating frame errors on the DosBox
console and on the 29b display.   Switching to 32bit Windows 7,  I can
run the patched version (standard version gives me Error 11) and it
appears to open COM1 which is mapped onto the USB but I get a Frame
Err 41 on the 29b and Promlink software cannot connect at 9600,N,8,1.

Unfortunately, I can't get any serial port sniffing tools such as
Sysinternals Portmon or AccessPort to work, both fail with "handle is
invalid" error which I'm guessing is a driver issue.

thanks!

tony