[Techtoolslist] Data IO 29b issues

Tony Jones tony at tonyjones.com
Tue Feb 23 19:57:53 EST 2016

On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 2:10 PM, David Ryskalczyk <d235j.1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> There are loads and loads of fake Prolific adapters. Does it work with their latest driver? Even if it does, it might be counterfeit.
> I know FTDI adapters are generally expensive, but I've had success with this cheaper one — it appears to be legit, or did when I last ordered some a while back.
> http://www.amazon.com/Chipset-Speed-Serial-RS-232-Converter/dp/B005S72HHO
>
> David

Hi David.

Thanks for the response.    Yes I'm using the latest Prolific driver.
 The usb-serial adapter works fine @115200 talking to a ARM Cortex
board.

If I hook up a logic analyzer and setup the async serial profile I can
see a transmission of 0x55, 0x18, 0x55, 0x18 (presumably from ProLink)
but I see nothing being received.     This is connecting the green
(tx) wire on the USB adapter to pin 3 (rx) on the 29b and pin 2 (tx)
on the 29b to the white (rx) wire on the USB adapter.

Also, if I power up the 29b with the ground wire from the USB adapter
connected to pin 7 (signal ground) I get a Frame Error 41 on the 29b
display during self-test.   No signal ground,  it passes self test and
drops into remote mode.   This seems a bit suspect,  I'll try a
different 29b,  I have a couple others.

Suggestions welcomed.

Tony