[Techtoolslist] Sunday Projects II: Replacing a DS1216B RealTimeClock?

Tony Jones tony at tonyjones.com
Mon May 16 12:49:50 EDT 2016

On Mon, May 16, 2016 at 7:27 AM, Brad Gass <bradg at digitalplains.net> wrote:
> That was my understanding as well based on a conversation with a Dallas/Maxim FAE I used to know.

> From: "Dave Riddle (Technical Dept.)" <enginr at windstream.net>
> If I recall correctly...the DS SmartWatch chips were shipped in a
> standby mode until the first READ or some other function.

Hi.

Thanks for the above. I assume the standby mode also applies also to
the DS1287?

I'm curious if anyone has replaced the one on their 9100?  On the FT
series it's on the SCSI/IEEE488 card (which is different from the
9100A card).  When I got my 9105FT it  was complaining that I needed
to replace the RTC battery. I was concerned about the longevity of a
used DS1287 and many of the Chinese sellers of new 1287A seemed to be
conflating with the 12887/12887A.  I bought a DS12887A aware of the
Maxim app note about possible incompatibility.   I could swear it
fixed the problem but when I recently I powered it up I got a
different message that the RTC could not be initialized.    This
thread is timely as my 9100FT has just started producing the same
initial message about needing to replace the RTC battery.

I'm curious if anyone has been through this before?

Thanks.

Tony