[Techtoolslist] replacing flat cables/connectors

John Robertson jrr at flippers.com
Thu May 19 12:51:24 EDT 2016

On 05/19/2016 8:26 AM, Tony Jones wrote:

> On May 19, 2016 8:14 AM, "John Robertson" <jrr at flippers.com
> <mailto:jrr at flippers.com>> wrote:
>
> > Or you can make the UUT header with a VERO board or similar and a
> couple of
> > rows of double-sides 0.100" header pins, etc.
>
> Hi John
>
> This topic was discussed in depth on the KLOV site. Consensus there
> was that .100 header pins (being significantly wider than the pins on
> Fluke probe heads or the "dip plugs") can result in poor socket pin
> contact.
>
> Best
>
> Tony

Hmmm, mine must have thinner pins than they are used to...

Another trick I have used over the years is to take a dead CPU, drill
out the centre, then solder the wires to the tops of the legs where they
bend to the body (after first checking for any shorted pins - blow those
out with a bit of 5V @ a couple of amps). Then you have a header with
legs of standard size and strength to use on your UUT. This works very
well for testing CPU sockets that are unusually deep such as found on
Atari boards from time to time. Saves replacing the CPU socket.

Of course you could also use (I recommend and always use) a 'sacrifice'
IC socket on the pins of your UUT header plug to protect the pins of the
plug. I assume you can find IC sockets for the 68000 still...

If you aren't sure what I mean I can host a picture of my sacrifice
socket team.