[Techtoolslist] 9010 fan question

John Robertson jrr at flippers.com
Thu Jul 14 13:43:02 EDT 2016

On 07/14/2016 10:24 AM, Tony Jones wrote:
> My 9010 started making a weird pulsing noise which I tracked down to
> the fan.  Like it was trying to start but couldn't.
>
> I've never given the fan any thought before,  does it run all the time?
>
> It's just two wires off the motherboard (which weren't pulsing per my
> scope) but these go to some kind of fan sending unit which feeds 4
> wires to the physical fan.  Is this some kind of temperature control?
> The fan blades didn't spin easily, quite a bit of resistance so I was
> assuming the fan itself was the problem rather than the sending unit.
>
> I have the model# specs for the fan so I'll look for a replacement but
> that might be challenging, replacing just the fan part and connecting
> to the existing grey sending unit may be another option. I couldn't
> find any previous mention of this in the archives,  curious if anyone
> has been here before?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Tony
Depending the fan design there may be a removable rubber seal under the
fan label (if in the middle of the fan). I peel back the label, remove
the seal and then put a couple of drops of synthetic motor oil (around
20W) and let it soak in a while then spin the fan manually back and
forth to work the it back into the bushings. Then seal it back up.

Usually works for years afterwards...