[Techtoolslist] Slowing down a Fluke Z80 pod?

Ian Eure ian at retrospec.tv
Sun Sep 17 13:24:07 EDT 2017

That’s not really how it works.  The CPU in the pod is driven by the
clock on the PCB.  If the pod CPU was running at a different clock
speed, nothing would work at all.

Based on the article, it sounds like perhaps the adapter just doesn’t
match the timings of the original CPU to support anything other than
individual reads, or perhaps there’s an issue with your adapter.  I’d
see if anyone else has used a similar setup and see what results they got.

If you wanted to slow things down in the hopes of improving marginal
timings, you’d need to alter the clock on the PCB, either by
substituting a slowre crystal or by replacing the clock that controls
the CPU and bus accesses with a slower signal.  Either option almost
certainly guarantees that the video hardware won’t work, and may mask
other problems going on with the board.

Are you aware of Paul Swan’s 2650 tester?  That might be another
option worth looking into.
http://www.paulswan.me/arcade/ArduinoMegaICT.htm