[Techtoolslist] Logic Analyzers and pulling out what little hair I have left...

John Robertson jrr at flippers.com
Sat Mar 31 00:10:53 EDT 2018

Well, not that I need one very often - the Fluke 9010A finds 99% of the
problems - but right now I have a headache with a Williams F-14 pinball
MPU that refuses to produce speech. According to the 9010A everything
seems just fine, I can access the PIA, ROM signatures are correct (paged
ROM, but pages seem to work correctly). There really is very little
hardware - two Eproms, a 6802, 2106 RAM, some logic glue, and a 6821
PIA, but it won't run the speech data.

Using my audio probe I don't even get the sounds on D0 so I know the
problem is actually before the 6821. Audio probes are fun to use for
troubleshooting digital audio as you can even hear the sounds on the
logic data bus - weak and fuzzy, but clearly the sounds you are looking for.

So, I figure I'd dig up one of my ancient logic analyzers that I bought
around 2002 figuring I'd use them some day. Two Arium ML4100s (one
deader) and an Arium ML4400. However, can I find them? No. We moved the
shop after 35 years last May and my helpful staff buried two of the
three Ariums somewhere in the 6,000 sq ft shop...the only one I could
find was a dead ML4100.

So, now I figure I'd see what was online for modern LAs and there are
some interesting 16 bit units including a few from China that should
work on the SIGROK software.

http://www.qdkingst.com/en

The point of this ramble? A question - anyone here using one of these
modern inexpensive LAs (or another brand) and cares to tell us your
experiences?

I guess the other point is, has anyone troubleshot a Williams
sound/speech section and can tell me what I have overlooked? I do know
(substitution) that RAM/ROM/CPU/PIAs are all good, have replaced the
glue chips, but really, they changed state correctly for the Fluke as
well as my logic comparator. There is some corrosion on the board, but
suspect sockets replaced and while I did have a short from R/W to
another line, I did track that down and fix it. All sounds EXCEPT speech
work just fine. Gah! Frigging FM.

Thanks,