[Techtoolslist] Fluke 9000 Pod (Z80) UUT ribbon cable

Greg Baumgratz voyager at galaxian.com
Tue Jan 3 23:04:05 EST 2023

On 1/3/2023 8:16 PM, Tony Jones wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 2, 2023 at 11:33 AM Greg Baumgratz <voyager at galaxian.com> wrote:
>
>>   If it's working you can twist the cable
>> slightly at the pod and it will stop working. I have pulled it apart and
>> did notice that the upper level ground foil did split and I bridged this
>> will wire/solder.  Still seems to be doing failing.  The 40 pin dip side
>> seems fine - any options?  Has anyone re-terminated the pod side?
>>
> Also fixing at the pod end is pretty doable.   Compared to fixing at the
> probe end.
> Also make sure you check for bad solder joints on the pod header pins.
> FTP site is: ftp://ftp.flippers.com/TTL/Test_Equipment

Thanks for all the responses - I read through all, but I am just
responding to the latest.  As others have stated, the straight through
cable is valid - I found a use for the spare Ms Pac 40 pin connector
cables I have laying around.  Since I do not have any 40 pin DIP plugs
on hand I lopped of one end of the Ms. Pac cable and crimped on a header
socket for the pod side and all seems well at this time.  The header
pins on the Pod side are still solid, but I did verify on the old cable
that a couple wires on each end are loose/broken at the connector so I
should be able to save the cable.  It will likely take some time and
should be a whole pile of fun getting a new end on it, but the UUT side
is fine so it will be worth saving it.  For now at least I can continue
my tests.

Now I need to look at the other Z80 pod I have as a spare, it was
passing self test for the first minute or so and then failing after
that.  Tonight I clamped the plug into the socket and let it sit looping
the test and it seemed to stay in a passing state.  I suppose it was
either a dirty socket or pins but I didn't wiggle the cable around.
I'll see how it acts tomorrow.

Thanks,
Greg