[Town Meeting] DOCUMENT: Possible substitute motion for STM Article 6

Rich Carreiro rlcarr at animato.arlington.ma.us
Fri May 13 15:02:26 EDT 2005

(0) I'm considering bringing this up because it appears the
    article's proponents are abandoning the article
    after the relevant boards have acquiesced to the
    proponents' specific requests.
(1) However, I want to see the bylaw followed going
    forward as well as on the two prior namings under
    discussion.
(2) I know that to make the relevant by-law legally binding
    requires home-rule legislation, but I'm willing to take
    a more conciliatory approach and give town officials a
    second chance to do the right thing on their own and
    so phrase this as a resolution.
(3) I know the language is clunky.  Feedback is welcome.
(4) "employee" is in there to cover the Town Manager,
    who has jurisdiction over town-side naming.

    27 April 2005 Special Town Meeting        Article 6

    I, Richard Carreiro, move that the following resolution
    be adopted:

    RESOLVED:
      Town Meeting requests that all boards, committees,
      and employees of the Town follow the letter and intent
      of the Public Memorial Committee by-law regardless of
      whether or not the by-law is legally binding on that
      particular board, committee, or employee.

Rich Carreiro                            rlcarr at animato.arlington.ma.us