[Town Meeting] Help Wanted on Article 28

Loreti, Christopher P loretic at BATTELLE.ORG
Thu May 4 10:14:55 EDT 2006

To the Town Meeting Members on this List:

I have two amendments I would like to offer on the latest Selectmen's vote on Article 28 related to the senior property tax deferral (loan) program.  (Please see the Selectmen's Supplemental Report, which was distributed last night.)  Unfortunately, I will be out of town next week, and won't be able to introduce them at Town Meeting.  I am sending this message to see if any of you would be interested in introducing these amendments in my absence, thus allowing them to be debated on the floor.

The two amendments would do the following:

1.  Set the income limit for eligibility at $40,000.  The Selectmen's current vote is for $30,000.  My amendment would return it to $40,000, as the Selectmen had recommended in their original vote.

2.  Change the interest rate that the Town charges on the deferred amount from the fixed, 6% rate in the Selectmen's current vote, to a variable rate.  (I understand the Finance Committee voted last night to propose a variable rate as well, one with a floor that would never allow the rate to go below 6%.)

Please note that these amendments apply only to part (a) of the revised Selectmen's vote on Article 28, and not to the new part (b), which was just added to the vote.  Part (b) deals specifically with property tax exemptions (reductions) and is completely unrelated to the deferral program in part (a).

If you are interested in submitting one or both of these amendments, please contact me by reply email, or give me a call at 781-869-1419 (work) or 781-641-2578 (home) before Sunday.  I'll be happy to fill you in on the details, and provide you with the rationale for these amendments and the text for them.

Thanks,

Chris Loreti
TMM, Precinct 7

Information contained in this communication may include confidential, privileged, proprietary or business sensitive information.  Unauthorized use, distribution, copying or disclosure of this information is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are on notice that any unauthorized disclosure, distribution, copying, or taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this document is prohibited.  If you received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately.  Thank you.