[Town Meeting] Article 20/55 Venner Road Information

KazChaz at aol.com KazChaz at aol.com
Thu May 11 15:53:00 EDT 2006

I read the materials posted  by Mr. Loretti. They are interesting, but don't
really have much  applicability to the Venner Road situation. The following is
what I have  unearthed so far. I understand that the rules of this list
prohibit advocacy, so  I will simply set forth what I have learned.

     Under MGLc 41sec 80, the town can establish  exterior lines for (the
future widening of) a road "and thereafter no  structure shall be erected or
maintained between the exterior lines of the way  so established.... Lines
established under this section may be discontinued  in the manner provided for the
discontinuance of a highway or a town  way" . That discontinuance is governed by
MGLc 82 sec 21, which stands  for the proposition that only TM can
discontinue a road, or, if I'm reading  correctly the case of Mahan v. Rockport, 287
Mass 34 (1934), the  unused exterior lines drawn for the road.

When the exterior lines established by the town cause  damages to the owner
of the property on which the lines have been drawn, the  owner is entitled to
damages, by operation of MGLc 41sec 81, which states in  pertinent part: Any
person injured in his property as aforesaid or by  the establishment or
discontinuance of exterior lines under section eighty may  recover the damages so
caused under chapter seventy-nine.....

    Thus I surmise that what happened those decades ago is  that the town by
drawing an exterior line on the Venner property that forbade  building within
the line drawn, were deemed by statute as applicable to the  facts of the case
to have caused damages to the owner, and thus was  required to pay to the
owner as compensation for his damages the  amount of $2,000.00. In no sense can
that be seen as an "investment" by the  town. The town now no longer requires
the right to widen the road.

    However, on the formal legal side the positions remain  somewhat murky.
This does have similarities to an easement, and it  cannot be said that a court
would not analyze a challenge to an  adverse action here in the same way it
looks at easements. Under the  "abandonment of purpose doctrine", it's safe to
say that if what the  town owns is determined to be in effect a road-widening
easement, that  eaement will be judicially extinguished. Moreover, as I
learned from  what the town mamager wrote in yesterday's handout, the town itself in
its order  of taking back in 1942 referred to what it took as an easement,
even though,  under the statutory scheme referred to above, it was not necessary
to do so.  Common sense suggests that a reasonable negotiated resolution is
in  everybody's best interest.

    Anyone who wishes to learn more about how all of  this seems to work
should feel free to contact me.

Chuck Kazarian
Precinct 6