[Town Meeting] Town counsel plan to retire, run for Town Meeting

Bob Sprague sprague.bob at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 16:06:24 EST 2007

The following information may be of interest to members of Arlington Town
Meeting.

Bob Sprague

--------------------

John Maher, who has served as town counsel for 30 years, is retiring next
spring and "switching sides" -- he will be running for Town Meeting. Maher
lives in Precinct 14. Town Meeting members whose terms expire next spring
include Selectmen Diane Mahon.

Maher, 61, began as Arlington town counsel in 1977 after serving as
associate trial counsel for the Minuteman Insurance Companies in Concord. He
had been assistant town counsel and labor relations counsel for the town
starting in 1974.
He graduated from Boston University Law School in 1973. He was drafted into
the Army in 1969 and served for two years, mostly in Germany, he said.

In an e-mail Nov. 19, Maher wrote, in response to queries from
YourArlington: "I am retiring from the position since I think that 33 years
of service are enough and want to try other endeavors in a private-practice
capacity, whether in Arlington or on the Cape.

"I am running for town meeting member from Precinct 14, and if elected I
hope to continue my public service in a volunteer capacity. It has been a
privilege to serve the town."

Asked about becoming a Town Meeting member, Maher wrote, "Yes, it would be
nice to face the other :). I like to think that with my knowledge of town
affairs that I might have something to offer."

Precinct 14 TM members whose terms are up in 2008 are Gwen Hooper, Robert
Hillis, Evelyn Smith DeMille and Mahon.

Maher said he retirement is "a bit iffy," but that he expects to be "around
April."

Marie Krepelka, the selectmen's administrator, said Nov. 21 that Maher
announced his retirement at the Sept. 17 selectmen's meeting. He said then
that he would retire officially at the end of April 2008.

"All five Selectmen stated that John would truly be missed and wished him
well. They all felt he was a great municipal town counsel," she wrote.