[Town Meeting] Precinct meetings

Berkowitz, William William_Berkowitz at uml.edu
Sun Apr 1 11:51:04 EDT 2012

Dear Town Meeting colleagues,

I’m writing to let you know that Precincts 8 and 10 will be hosting a joint meeting for members of our precincts before Town Meeting starts. The meeting will be held on Sunday, April 22 from 4:00 – 6:00 at the Arlington Senior Center.

Why a precinct meeting? For two main reasons, one specific and one more general:

* Specifically, we think it’s a good idea to review articles on the upcoming Town Meeting warrant – to educate, to respond to questions, and to hear points of view.

* More generally, we think it’s also good for members of our precincts to come together at least once a year to connect with each other and to voice neighborhood- related concerns, even though they might not be directly related to the upcoming Town Meeting. Those meetings are potentially an excellent forum for neighborhood thoughts and ideas; and sometimes by working together those ideas can be turned into reality.

So we would encourage others of you to consider holding similar meetings in your own precincts. I’m attaching a flyer we are using for our own precinct meeting, which as you can see is quite adaptable to other settings. We also have a template for a letter that can be sent to individual neighbors, available on request. (You’re warmly welcome, of course, to come to our own meeting.)

In theory, it’s very easy to hold a precinct meeting; all you need is a time and a place. In practice, it can take some thought and some work to encourage people to attend; yet it may take a while for this kind of idea to build and become a tradition. And at the first precinct meeting we held, three years ago, about 100 neighbors showed up. So we know it can be done.

Thanks for your consideration of this thought. Since this note is going over the Town Meeting list, which does not allow for discussion, please feel free to send comments, questions, or suggestions to me directly.

All best wishes – and see you at Town Meeting.

~~ Bill

Bill Berkowitz

Chair, Precinct 8, 2011-2012