[Town Meeting] Citizens United Education Programs

Dick Smith dixmith at dixmith.org
Thu May 10 09:59:58 EDT 2012

It is possible, in fact likely, that Town Meeting Members will vote next weeks on Art. 73, RESOLUTION/US SUPREME COURT DECISION IN CITIZENS UNITED v. FEDERAL ELECTION COMMISSION.

This article was submitted by myself and 10 registered voters. Its purpose was not only to have Town Meeting, representing the voters of Arlington, express its opinion on this hugely significant issue, but to educate the citizens of Arlington on what Citizens United is all about, and the effect it is having, and will have, on our electoral system.

I have assisted in the scheduling of a program at 7 pm, Monday, May 14, at Arlington Center for the Arts, 41 Foster St. in East Arlington. It has been planned primarily by Progressive Democrats of America, with Sen. Jamie Eldridge, and Jeffrey Clements, author of Corporations Are Not People, as the main speakers.

Since the event on May 14 conflicts with a Town Meeting session that evening, I have planned another program on Citizens United to be held at 7:30 pm, Tuesday, May 15, at First Parish Universalist Unitarian Church, on the corner of Mass Ave. and Pleasant Street. The main speakers will be Pamela Wilmot, Executive Director of MA Common Cause, Sen. Will Brownsberger, and Rep. Sean Garballey. Speakers will present various view of Citizens United; and there will be a question and answer period.

Dick Smith