[Voxnovus] Allen Strange

Vox Novus List voisey-i at voxnovus.com
Fri Feb 22 22:21:29 EST 2008

I have been notified with some of the saddest news today. Allen Strange
has passed away on February 20, 2008.

He has been described as "a musical outlaw, a composer who creates outside
the traditional bounds of music making." - Mary Ann Cook, "Electric
Company", Los Gatos Weekly Times

Allen has been known as one of the leading authorities on analogue
electronic music; his work Electronic Music: Systems, Techniques, and
Controls is a hallmark text detailing the beginning of electronic music.
This text appeared as the first comprehensive work on analog music synthesis
in 1972. After several editions the text still remains in print as a classic
reference and guide for studio synthesis.

Involved with music technology since the middle 1960's Allen Strange has
remained active as a composer, performer, author and educator. In the late
1960s Allen and his wife, Patricia, founded BIOME, a pioneering
live-electronic music performance. In 1976 they co-founded the Electric
Weasel Ensemble with synthesizer designer Donald Buchla. Both ensembles have
toured internationally.

Allen Strange retired from San Jose State University in 2002 and moved to
Bainbridge Island, Washington to pursue a full-time career composing,
concertizing with his wife, Pat.

For my part, Allen has been one of the core composers of Vox Novus
contributing his compositions, time, energy, and candor to all of the
organization's projects. His particular contributions of his "signature"
pieces to the 60x60 project have been a particular inspiration to me. And
his dedication and commitment to the project have been invaluable.

Allen will be sorely missed.

http://www.voxnovus.com/composer/Allen_Strange.htm
http://www.svcn.com/archives/lgwt/01.23.02/cover-0204.html

Robert Voisey
RobVoisey at VoxNovus.com
Artistic Director of the 60x60 project
Vice-President of Programs, Living Music Foundation
Founder of Vox Novus
http://www.VoxNovus.com