[Voxnovus] Liana Alexandra (May 17, 1947 - January 10, 2011)

Vox Novus List voisey-i at voxnovus.com
Sat Feb 5 17:00:12 EST 2011

With a heavy heart, I must announce the loss of a talented composer, great
colleague, and my friend Liana Alexandra. Liana died in her sleep on
January 10th, 2011 and was survived by her beloved husband and colleague
Serban Nichifor.

Both Liana and Serban have been allies and compatriots for the Living Music
Foundation, Vox Novus, 60x60 as well as many contemporary composers
crusading for contemporary music. The two have been a great gateway for our
work to receive debuts and greater exposure by presenting them for premieres
in Bucharest.

I have always enjoyed Liana's work as a composer and her work has been a
regular appearance on the 60x60 project and the Composer's Voice concert
series.

One of my favorite moments was speaking to Liana over the phone when she had
called WKCR for one of our 60x60 Radio Request Extravaganza's. She had
requested us to play the work of her husband, Dwight Winenger, and my own
work to be broadcast on the show. It was so exciting to have her call from
Bucharest and I had after many years had the opportunity to speak with her
on the phone. It saddens me to realize that I shall never meet her in
person.

I can not imagine the grief of her husband and "partner in crime" is going
through. I have always known the both of them as strong individuals but
still partners together as a team.
My sincerest condolences to Serban and all who knew Liana; she will be
sorely missed.

I have created a page in her honor on the Vox Novus website:
http://www.voxnovus.com/composer/Liana_Alexandra.htm

Sincerely,

Robert Voisey

RobVoisey at VoxNovus.com