[Voxnovus] NM421 > June 22, 2013 - Fifth Annual Composer's Voice Guitrar Festival & Concert Review of June 9th Composer's Voice

Robert Voisey (Vox Novus) RobVoisey at VoxNovus.com
Thu Jun 20 00:06:38 EDT 2013

Can't view this email properly? Click here for the online version
<http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/issue/13-06-22.htm>
<http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421> New Music for the 21st Century

< <http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/issue/13-06-15.htm> June 22, 2013
<http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/issue/13-06-29.htm> >

VOX NOVUS NEWSLETTER - New Music for the 21st Century

> REVIEW: Composer's Voice: Madcap Fun

> POSTCARD: The Beetles

Vox Novus Calendar

> PERFORMANCE: Composer's Voice - 5th Annual Guitar Concert

OPPORTUNITIES

> Fifteen Minutes of Fame - call for works - violin and tape

> Composer's Voice - call for proposals - HARD EIGHT

> Composer's Site - composer opportunities

NM421 ARCHIVES

Composer's Voice: Madcap Fun

Composer's Voice
<http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/img/13-06-22-Composers_Voice_Group_Shot.jpg>
<http://www.voxnovus.com/composersvoice> Composer's Voice

The penultimate Composer's Voice anticipated the imminent Summer solstice
with a collection of puckish works, highlighting zaniness and showmanship.
Curator Andy Evan Cohen-who possesses deep ties to theater- tickles our
fancywith a cleverly paced show that proves to be both sonically and
visually compelling.

Alex Sramek <http://www.voxnovus.com/member/pic/Alex_Sramek.jpg>

Contrabass clarinetist and up-for-anything imp Alex Sramek challenges
conventional expectations with a Fifteen Minutes of Fame entitled Thinking
Outside the Paperclip. With works ranging from absurdist to hilarious,
Sramek demonstrates a marked talent for producing sweet sounds that rapidly
morph into aching bleats. He displays his proclivity for these swift aural
switches during the opening piece, Lori Archer Sutherland's Microburst.
Beginning with an ominous sense of doom, Microburst hastens into a nimble
canter studded with psychedelic interjections. Composer Michael Boyd
challenges musicians to interact with their instruments by asking them to
erect a structure out of everyday objects. Much to our delight, Sramek
produces a gnarly paper structure mimicking the form of the contrabass
clarinet in Replication [CBCL] before snapping a few photos. In Marissa
DiPronio Dike's work Wrinkle, Sramekattaches a sheet of paper emblazoned
with the word WRINKLE. When a low C is played, the paper flutters audibly,
layering a surprising layer to the outre composition. Sramek enlists our
participation in Daniel Schnee'sProphecy Structure. After showing us
Schnee's visual score, different sections of the audience conspire to tap
and intone our way to a jubilant cacophony. Thinking Outside The Paperclip
concludes with Joey Bourdeau's Fit, a jocular take on a musician struggling,
and then finally surmounting, a tricky technique.

Works by Betie Ross, BerkOzdemir, Rodrigo Baggio, Andy Evan Cohen, Juan
Maria Solare, Fermino Gomes, Jon Fielder, Roger May, Ron Wray, and Ari
Frankel round out Fifteen Minutes of Fame's Thinking Outeside the Paperclip.

The longer works continue to explore a fanciful world dappled with magic.

Andy Cohen <http://www.voxnovus.com/composer/pic/Andy_Cohen.jpg>

Cohen, performing Janet Bentley's Supernova Prototype on the piano, whisks
us on a mystical journey. A twine of a silken melody intensifiesbefore the
piece erupts into crystalline twinkles. Speckled with moments of expectant
repose, Supernova Prototype shimmers with a bright, silvery transparency.

Bentley and Cohen team up on his two-part selection, The Unanswerable
Question. The first movement features Cohen on piano and Bentley intoning a
vignette about an enigmatic cat; the second is devoted to Bentley asking
questionsappropriated from Yahoo Answers. Bentley, a plucky performer,
enthralls with a quirky delivery underscoring the silliness of questions
such as "how often do you talk to your toaster" and "why do my insides
itch."

Melinda Smart <http://www.voxnovus.com/member/pic/Melinda_Smart.jpg>

The last work on the program, Orchard-crafted by and starring Melinda Smart,
acts as a unique musical theater piece showcasing dancers Dani Vialpando and
Jacline Henrichs with Cohen on guitar and Tami Jaton on violin. Smart-clad
in a pink frock, black heels, and a black apron-laments in front of a table
with a floral tablecloth. As she engages in typical household drudgery, it
begins to shake. Apples roll from under the table and hands appear
offeringkitchen utensils. Ultimately, Vialpando and Henrichs appear,
costumed in gauzy coral. With Smart, the three perform swirling choreography
replete with shoulder rolls, fluid pathways of the arms, and undulations to
the plaintive, winding music. Orchard culminates with the three beauties
standing behind the table, grinning deviously.

Three longer works round out Mueller's concert. Steve Holtje offers excerpts
from his poignant Japanese Dedications. Paul Joseph provides a selection,
The Garden from his lushly vivid multi media work, The King of the Mask.
Neblina Pasajera, composed and performed by Barry Kornhauser and Tomas
Rodriguez is gently pensive, a balm for an agitated spirit.

<http://www.voxnovus.com/composersvoice/program/13-04-28.htm> More can be
found on the Composer's Voice web page by clicking here

<http://erinbomboy.blogspot.com/> Erin Bomboy

<http://erinbomboy.blogspot.com/> Erin Bomboy
http://erinbomboy.blogspot.com/

The Beetles

The Beetles
<http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/issue/postcard/13-06-22-The_Beetles.jpg>

In early 1964, the Beatles arrived in the U.S. as the vanguard of the
so-called "British Invasion" of rock 'n roll bands. Actually, there was an
earlier British Invasion that also involved beetles. In May 1959, Mark D.
Chapman of the New Jersey Entomology League spotted a swarm of Giant
Predacious Pestiferous Beetles, which are indigenous to Cornwall, feeding on
the Atlantic City Mudflats. He trapped two of them when he realized that
their hive mates were now after him. Chapman escaped, but not before a
coleopteran had taken a good sized chunk out of his right leg. He was left
with a pronounced limp and a hatred of the insects. As time passed, Chapman
grew increasingly unable to distinguish between the entomological beetles
and the musical ones, until, on December 8, 1980, in New York City, he ...
well, do we really have to revisit that tragic moment in history?

<http://www.davidgunn.org> David Gunn

<http://www.davidgunn.org> David Gunn
www.DavidGunn.org

Upcoming Performances

Composer's Voice
<http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/img/13-06-15-5th_Guitar_concert.jpg>

Composer's Voice 5th Annual Guitar Concert
<http://www.voxnovus.com/composersvoice/program/13-06-23.htm>
curated by Dan Cooper

Sunday June 23, 2013 - 1:00 PM

In New York City Composers Voice will hold its 5th Annual Guitar Concert on
Sunday, June 23rd at 1pm at Jan Hus Presbyterian Church & Neighborhood House
curated by guitarist and composer Dan Cooper.

The Composer's Voice Fifth Annual Guitar contert will feature: Dan Cooper,
'Titania's Lullaby' for three guitars, double bass, and piano Andrew McKenna
Lee, 'Arabescata' for guitar solo Molly Joyce, 'Dissolve' for guitar, flute,
and electronics William Anderson, 'AYU' for guitar and tiple Alba Potes, 'A
Due' for guitar and tiple Dan Cooper, 'Design' for guitar and tiple Masatora
Goya, 'Saudade' for guitar, flute, and viola Rubens Salles, 'DUO' for guitar
and piano Greg Baker, 'Astor' for electric guitar, 7-string bass guitar, and
electronics Angela Babin and Cristian Amigo, 'Two Guitars No. 6' for two
electric guitars Dave Soldier, 'The Revolutionary Mr. Jenkins' for two
electric guitars

With performances by David Acker, Cristian Amigo, William Anderson, Angela
Babin, Greg Baker, Shaun Barlow, Thomas Carlo Bo, Carlos Boltes, Melanie
Chirignan, Dan Cooper, Nathaly Corales, Colin Davin, Oren Fader, Masatora
Goya, Scott Hill, Molly Joyce, Andrew McKenna Lee, Daniel Reyes Llinas, Alba
Potes, David Ricco, Rubens Salles, and Dave Soldier, and Justin Valazquez.

As Andres Segovia wrote, "Lean your body forward slightly to support the
guitar against your chest, for the poetry of music should resound in your
heart." On June 23rd at 1pm, Vox Novus / Composers Voice presents its 5th
Annual Guitar Concert, featuring the music of Cristian Amigo, William
Anderson, Angela Babin, Greg Baker, Dan Cooper, Masatora Goya, Molly Joyce,
Andrew McKenna Lee, Alba Potes, Rubens Salles, and Dave Soldier. Additional
performers include David Acker, Shaun Barlow, Thomas Carlo Bo, Melanie
Chirignan, Nathaly Corales, Colin Davin, Oren Fader, Daniel Reyes Llinas,
David Ricco, Justin Valazquez, and Alturas Duo (Carlos Boltes & Scott Hill).
The guest host and curator for this concert is NYC composer Dan Cooper.

Composer's Voice Concert Series is an opportunity for contemporary composers
to express their musical aesthetic and personal "voice" created in their
compositions. Started in 2001, the "Composer's Voice" concert series has
presented over 100 concerts throughout the world.

Don't miss this fun, FREE event, to be held at Jan Hus Presbyterian Church &
Neighborhood House, 351 East 74th St (between 1st and 2nd Ave), NYC. Note:
donations of food & clothing towards Jan Hus Homeless Outreach & Advocacy
Program are encouraged.

<http://www.voxnovus.com/composersvoice/program/13-06-23.htm> Click here to
see the concert program

Composer <http://www.voxnovus.com/composersvoice/> 's Voice concert
Sunday June 23, 2013 1:00PM
Jan Hus Presbyterian Church
www.janhus.org
351 East 74th Street,
New York, NY 10021-3798
FREE ADMISSION

Calendar

<http://www.voxnovus.com/calendar> Calendar of Vox Novus Events

Composer's Site
<http://www.composerssite.com/sites/all/themes/composer_theme/cpcc.jpg>

New Opportunities

Expiring Opportunities

*

EARZOOM Sonic Arts Festival 2013
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3592>
Deadline: 15 Jul 2013
*

PATHS OF RURAL MOBILITY
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3591>
Deadline: 31 Oct 2013
*

International Competition Composition 2014
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3589>
Deadline: 28 Feb 2014
*

360 XOCHI QUETZAL: Fall and Winter Artist Residency in Central
Mexico <http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3588>
Entry Fee: 36.00
Deadline: 17 Aug 2013
*

Art Farm <http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3587> 's artist
residency program
Entry Fee: 20.00
Deadline: 1 Mar 2014
*

A.I.R. Studio Paducah - for 2013 Applicants
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3586>
*

FOUNDATION OBRAS <http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3584>
*

OBRAS-Holland <http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3583>
*

Prairie Center of the Arts - Residency
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3585>
Entry Fee: 15.00
*

AiR Bergen at USF Verftet
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3582>
Deadline: 1 Mar 2014
*

ARTISTS IN RESIDENCE <http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3579>
AIR 'Le PARC' Pampelonne, Tarn
*

Buitenwerkplaats - residency
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3581>
*

camac - Residency <http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3580>
*

As a Costa Rica Artists
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3578> ' Colony - residency
Entry Fee: 35.00
*

Bilpin international ground for Creative initiatives (BigCi)
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3576>

*

SoundFjord <http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3337> 's
Visible Near Midnight - call for works
Entry Fee: 0.00
Deadline: 21 Jun 2013
*

The Conlon Music Prize for Disklavier Plus
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/2601>
Entry Fee: 0.00
Deadline: 21 Jun 2013
*

Sounding Out: Voices Now
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3533>
Entry Fee: 0.00
Deadline: 23 Jun 2013
*

LSO Soundhub <http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3481>
Deadline: 24 Jun 2013
*

Nordic Music Days 2014 in Oslo - Call for works
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3546>
Deadline: 25 Jun 2013
*

Periapsis Music and Dance Composer Commission Competition 2013-2014
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3467>
Entry Fee: 20.00
Deadline: 28 Jun 2013
*

Walking Wiltshires White Horses
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3534>
Deadline: 28 Jun 2013
*

T <http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3510> enot Fondation
Bursary for artists
Deadline: 30 Jun 2013
*

Adamson Military Band
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3205> composing competition as
part of their 125th anniversary celebration
Entry Fee: 0.00
Deadline: 30 Jun 2013
*

Call for Commissions: composers and writers
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3528>
Entry Fee: 0.00
Deadline: 30 Jun 2013
*

CEMIcircles: call for submissions
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3532>
Deadline: 30 Jun 2013
*

Culturescapes Balkan 2013 - Call for scores
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3057>
Entry Fee: 0.00
Deadline: 30 Jun 2013
*

ELEKTRO ARTS Concert Call for works
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/2856>
Entry Fee: 0.00
Deadline: 30 Jun 2013
*

HERNE HILL MUSIC FESTIVAL COMPOSITION COMPETITION 2013 COMPETITION -
Piano Trio <http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3074>
Entry Fee: 10.00
Deadline: 30 Jun 2013
*

International Composition Competition Bruno Maderna
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/2853>
Entry Fee: 20.00
Deadline: 30 Jun 2013
*

Iron Composer Competition
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3501>
Deadline: 30 Jun 2013
*

MISO MUSIC PORTUGAL RESIDENCY AT MISO STUDIO LAB FOR ELECTROACOUSTIC
CREATION <http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3322> DESCRIPTION &
APPLICATION CRITERIA
Deadline: 30 Jun 2013
*

Mr McFall <http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3549> 's Chamber
commissioning project
Deadline: 30 Jun 2013
*

NYWC Seed Money Grants 2013
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3418>
Deadline: 30 Jun 2013
*

The RESPIGHI PRIZE <http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/1568>
Entry Fee: 100.00
Deadline: 30 Jun 2013
*

VOX Contemporary American Opera Lab 2014
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3424>
Deadline: 30 Jun 2013
*

WRITING BANDSTAND MUSIC
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3313> - DEADLINE 30th JUNE 2013
Entry Fee: 10.00
Deadline: 30 Jun 2013
*

SoundWalk 2013 Submission Site
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3452>
Entry Fee: 20.00
Deadline: 1 Jul 2013
*

2013 Composing in the Wilderness Field Seminar!
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3228>
Deadline: 1 Jul 2013
*

9th Biennial Young Composers
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/1148> ' Contest
Deadline: 1 Jul 2013
*

Call for Scores - Sounds New
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3427>
Deadline: 1 Jul 2013
*

Campbelltown Arts Centre Call for Scores
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3067>
Entry Fee: 0.00
Deadline: 1 Jul 2013
*

Cluster 2014 Call for Projects
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3548>
Deadline: 1 Jul 2013
*

Columbia Orchestra American Composer Competition
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3485>
Entry Fee: 0.00
Deadline: 1 Jul 2013
*

Heckscher Foundation-Ithaca College Composition Prize
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3398>
Deadline: 1 Jul 2013
*

International Beethoven Project - Beethoven Festival 2013: LOVE
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3554>
Deadline: 1 Jul 2013
*

NACUSA - 2013 National Conference Meeting Call for scores
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3531>
Deadline: 1 Jul 2013
*

THE LORD MAYOR <http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3478> 'S
COMPOSITION PRIZE - 2013
Deadline: 1 Jul 2013
*

New Project Offers <http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3555>
Deadline: 2 Jul 2013
*

Fully-Funded PhD Studentship
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3556>
Deadline: 3 Jul 2013

Opportunities

Fifteen Minutes of Fame
<http://www.voxnovus.com/img/Fifteen_Minutes_of_Fame_logo.jpg>

<http://www.voxnovus.com/15_Minutes_of_Fame/calls/>
Fifteen Minutes of Fame

CALL FOR WORKS

Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame: Daniel Mihai, violin & tape

Deadline: July 4, 2013

Vox Novus is calling for one-minute pieces composed for
Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame: Daniel Mihai, violin & tape to be premiered in
September 2013 for Composer's Voice collaboration concert in Constanta,
Romaniai.

Daniel Mihai <http://www.voxnovus.com/member/pic/Daniel_Mihai.jpg>

<http://www.voxnovus.com/15_Minutes_of_Fame/calls/#13-07-04> Click here for
more details

Composer's Voice
<http://www.voxnovus.com/img/Composers_Voice_logo_2012.jpg>

<http://www.voxnovus.com/composersvoice/calls/>
Composer's Voice
CALL FOR WORKS

Calling for Proposals for HARD EIGHT

Hard Eight <http://www.voxnovus.com/img/Hard_Eight.gif>

Deadline August 8, 2013

Composer's Voice is calling for performance proposals for its concert
scheduled December 8th, 2013. The theme for the concert is "Hard Eight" All
proposals must be less than 8 minutes in total; applicants are STRONGLY
urged to keep their proposals for performances between 4-8 minutes. The
concert is a celebration of Composer's Voice founder and Director Robert
Voisey for his 44th birthday.

Performance Proposals should include:
- Title
- Relation to theme - (program notes)
- Instrumentation
- Length of performance
- Biographies of performers and composers
- All proposals should be submitted by August 8, 2013 to
composersvoicesubmit at gmail.com
- The email subject should read Hard Eight - your name - Title of Proposal

Chosen applicants will receive a performance slot on Composer's Voice
concert December 8th, 2013 at Jan Hus Church in New York City, PR and
administrative assistance from Composer's Voice, and the heartfelt
appreciation of Robert Voisey. :)

Proposals should indicate if they need Vox Novus and Composer's Voice to
help recruit musicians. Any and all questions should be address to
composersvoicesubmit at gmail.com with "Hard Eight" in the subject heading.

Hard Eight <http://www.voxnovus.com/img/Hard_Eight.gif>

Dice (commonly known as craps), is a game often played for money where the
player (referred to as the shooter) rolls 2 dice hoping to roll a winning
combination. The number 8 can be obtained 3 ways. The "easy way" by rolling
a 6 and 2 or a 3 and 5, or the "hard way" by rolling a 4 and 4. "Hard"
numbers are any 2 pair combinations: 2 and 2, 3 and 3, 4 and 4, 5 and 5, and
6 and 6. Betting on the "hard" number combination results in a larger return
when it is thrown.

Rob Voisey will be turning 44 on this Composer's Voice concert in December;
and it will be "hard" as the age suggests. *Crap* :)

<http://www.voxnovus.com/composersvoice/calls/> Click here for more details
http://www.voxnovus.com/composersvoice/calls/

Vox Novus Projects

<http://www.voxnovus.com> Vox Novus