[Voxnovus] NM421 > May 4, 2013 - CD Review - Torrid Mix

Robert Voisey (Vox Novus) RobVoisey at VoxNovus.com
Sat May 4 07:21:34 EDT 2013

Can't view this email properly? Click here for the online version
<http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/issue/13-05-04.htm>
<http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421> New Music for the 21st Century

< <http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/issue/13-04-27.htm> May 04, 2013
<http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/issue/13-05-11.htm> >

VOX NOVUS NEWSLETTER - New Music for the 21st Century

> REVIEW: Torrid Mix

> POSTCARD: Shoes and Handbags

Vox Novus Calendar
OPPORTUNITIES

> Fifteen Minutes of Fame - call for harp choir

> Composer's Voice - call for electric-jazz guitar and piano

> Composer's Site - new opportunities

> Composer's Site - expiring opportunities

NM421 ARCHIVES

CD Review

Mike McFerron
<http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/img/13-05-04-Mike_McFerron.jpg> Torrid Mix
<http://www.voxnovus.com/cd/Mike_McFerron-Torrid_Mix.jpg>

Mike McFerron - Torrid Mix

<http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/stat?id=DUOP2iEh4Ns&offerid=146261&type
=3&subid=0&tmpid=1826&RD_PARM1=https%253A%252F%252Fitunes.apple.com%252Fus%2
52Falbum%252Ftorrid-mix%252Fid280709762%253Fuo%253D4%2526partnerId%253D30>

Stephan Casurella, piano;
GeNIA, piano;
Thomas Clement, flute

Prelude to You Brought This On Yourself, Stratum, Dinadanvtli, Minute
Distances, Torrid Mix: featuring DJ Jazzy King and Master L.T., 9.17.2003,
Stationary Fronts, ?p?x=4/p

It is a very bold statement for Mike McFerron to start his 2008 disc Torrid
Mix with the fixed media piece "Prelude to You Brought This On Yourself."
The initial quiet and gentle gestures do indeed make one think of a
"prelude" but once the homophobic soundbites kick in you realize this isn't
the piece you thought it was going to be. Juxtaposed agains a mournful and
distant vocal melody, McFerron presents this hateful material with a sense
of emotional detachment. But again, once you think that you know what to
expect, McFerron switches the tone by replacing the homophonic rants with
soundbites from Hitler speeches. McFerron's skill with fluid transformations
and juxtapositions is one of the primary stylistic traits that binds
together the works on this disc. Even when the musical material is less
socio-politically charged, these techniques are things that McFerron
astutely uses on many levels.

Another key element in McFerron's music is his strong sense of rhythm.
"Minute Distances," a minute-long microtonal synth-marimba eruption, is the
first real example of McFerron's ability to groove. "Torrid Mix," the title
track for piano and fixed media, merges the sustained transformations heard
in "Prelude" and pulls it together with driving rhythms created from a
high-speed rap happening in the background. "Torrid Mix" is an exceptionally
cool piece with life, vitality, and great orchestrational touches between
the live piano and the tape.

The brief fixed media piece "9.17.2003" again grooves and vamps on mainly
vocal sounds while "Stationary Fronts" for flute and fixed media again
merges high-energy rhythms with timbrally active and sensitive synthesis.
"?p?x=4/p" sounds as a sonic extension to "Minute Distances" but this time
using piano samples instead of marimba sounds. The end result is a toccata
that makes full use of the stereo field; it is the sonic equivalent of
Nancarrow's player pianos being melted in a Dali painting.

Shoes and Handbags

Doris Piano
<http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/issue/postcard/13-05-04-Shoes_and_Handbags.jp
g>

Undaunted by the failure of the initial production of his opera "Mourning
Becomes Electra," composer Marvin Levy extensively revised the music.
Happily, two triumphant revivals resulted. Critics attributed much of the
success to the addition of the Hospital Scene and accompanying "Shoes and
Handbags" aria: A frazzled Nurse Wiggins steps out of the St. Salmon's
Hospital's Birthing Center to review the singular events of the last hour.
She had assisted her surgical team in a complicated caesarian section on a
very expectant Mrs. Gangalore Beetlevue. The operation resulted in a medical
first for the hospital: a newborn who resembled a sharply toothed and
broadly snouted reptile indigenous to the southeast United States more so
than a traditional crumbsnatcher. Cradling the infant, Nurse Wiggins wonders
if the mother's wish to breast-feed is a good idea. What on Earth to do?! As
Baby X gazes hungrily at her with eyes that hark back to the Oligocene
Epoch, the perfect solution comes instantly to mind, and she poignantly
sings "Shoes and Handbags!"

<http://www.davidgunn.org> David Gunn

<http://www.davidgunn.org> David Gunn
www.DavidGunn.org

Calendar

<http://www.voxnovus.com/calendar> Calendar of Vox Novus Events

Composer's Site
<http://www.composerssite.com/sites/all/themes/composer_theme/cpcc.jpg>

New Opportunities

Expiring Opportunities

*

VOX Contemporary American Opera Lab 2014
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3424>
Deadline: 30 Jun 2013
*

eContact! 15.4 <http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3423> -
Videomusic: Overview of an Emerging Art Form
Deadline: 20 Aug 2013
*

STUDIO 300 Digital Art and Music Festival, 2013
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3422>
Deadline: 1 Jun 2013
*

Welcome Christmas Carol Contest
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3421>
Deadline: 2 Aug 2013
*

Seeking compositions and/or performances focused on The 21st-century
Voice, Contemporary and Traditional Extra-Normal Voice
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3420>
*

Kansas City Electronic Music and Arts Alliance (KcEMA) Call for
Works <http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3419>
Deadline: 31 May 2013
*

NYWC Seed Money Grants 2013
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3418>
Deadline: 1 Jun 2013
*

2013 Call for Scores: New Works for Unaccompanied Viola da Gamba
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3415>
Entry Fee: 20.00
Deadline: 20 Sep 2013
*

Call for Scores - Klezmer Company Orchestra
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3412>
Deadline: 1 Dec 2013
*

The Bower School of Music at Florida Gulf Coast University seeks to
fill a 1-year visiting position in music theory
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3411>
Deadline: 15 May 2013
*

Oregon Bach Festival Composers Symposium
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3410>
Entry Fee: 0.00
Deadline: 24 May 2013
*

Island Creations 2014
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3408>
Deadline: 20 Aug 2013
*

Isang Yun International Composition Prize 2013
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3404>
Entry Fee: 45.00
Deadline: 7 Jun 2013
*

FLORENCE STRING QUARTET CALL FOR SCORES
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3402>
Entry Fee: 40.00
Deadline: 16 Aug 2013
*

Call for Compositions -
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3400> "ENCORE - European
Nyckelharpa Cooperation - ORchestral Experience, between European folk music
and contemporary compositions"
Deadline: 30 May 2013

*

2nd INTERNATIONAL COMPOSERS COMPETITION
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/981> "New Note" CROATIA 2013.
Entry Fee: 50.00
Deadline: 6 May 2013
*

2013 Corpus Christi Chorale Choral Composiion Competition
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/2861>
Entry Fee: 20.00
Deadline: 10 May 2013
*

Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame: The Crane Harp Ensemble
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/1839>
Entry Fee: 0.00
Deadline: 10 May 2013
*

IMANI WINDS CHAMBER MUSIC FESTIVAL announces The Emerging Composers
Program <http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3389>
Entry Fee: 70.00
Deadline: 10 May 2013
*

The 34th International IRINO PRIZE
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/888>
Entry Fee: 0.00
Deadline: 10 May 2013
*

2013 Composing in the Wilderness Field Seminar
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3397>
Deadline: 15 May 2013
*

Applause Music Festival
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3299>
Deadline: 15 May 2013
*

GUSTAV MAHLER Composition Prize
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3158>
Entry Fee: 0.00
Deadline: 15 May 2013
*

Ligeti 2013 Symposium and Festival
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3230> Florida State University
Entry Fee: 0.00
Deadline: 15 May 2013
*

MUSICAPOI <http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3338>
Entry Fee: 0.00
Deadline: 15 May 2013
*

POLYPHONOS Competition Application 2013-2014
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/2726>
Entry Fee: 25.00
Deadline: 15 May 2013
*

The Bower School of Music at Florida Gulf Coast University seeks to
fill a 1-year visiting position in music theory
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3411>
Deadline: 15 May 2013
*

The Memphis Symphony Orchestra (MSO) announces a Call for Scores
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3348>
Deadline: 15 May 2013

Opportunities

Fifteen Minutes of Fame
<http://www.voxnovus.com/img/Fifteen_Minutes_of_Fame_logo.jpg>

<http://www.voxnovus.com/15_Minutes_of_Fame/calls/>
Fifteen Minutes of Fame

CALL FOR WORKS

Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame: The Crane Harp Ensemble

Deadline May 10, 2013

<http://www.voxnovus.com/member/pic/The_Crane_Harp_Ensemble.jpg>

Vox Novus is calling for one-minute harp ensemble works. The one-minute
works are to be written specifically for the Crane Harp Ensemble. The
selected pieces will be performed in New York City on the Composer's Voice
concert on November 10th, 2013 Submission guidelines:

The Crane Harp Ensemble performs harp duos, trios, quartets, etc. and gives
at least one formal concert each semester. The ensemble includes students as
well as members of the surrounding community. The Crane Harp Ensemble is
directed by Dr. Jessica Suchy-Pilalis, professor of harp and music theory.

<http://www.voxnovus.com/15_Minutes_of_Fame/calls/#13-05-10> Click here for
more details

Composer's Voice
<http://www.voxnovus.com/img/Composers_Voice_logo_2012.jpg>

<http://www.voxnovus.com/composersvoice/calls/>
Composer's Voice
CALL FOR WORKS

Calling for works (3-5 minutes) composed for electric-jazz guitar and piano

Deadline September 9, 2013

<http://www.voxnovus.com/member/pic/Lis_de_Carvalho_Rodrigo_Baggio_01.jpg>

Vox Novus is calling for short pieces (3-5 minutes) minute pieces composed
for electric-jazz guitar and piano to be premiered by Rodrigo Baggio, guitar
and Lis de Carvalho,piano)at the EMESP College of Music in collaboration
with Composer's Voice concert Series October 20, 2013 in Sao Paolo, Brazil

For more information visit http://www.voxnovus.com/composersvoice/calls

Rodrigo Baggio <http://www.voxnovus.com/member/pic/Rodrigo_Baggio_01.jpg>

Rodrigo Baggio has excelled internationally in 2012, playing concerts and
having his music played in various countries around the globe. He was the
guest guitarist of Universite Laval (Quebec) in their 2012 winter semester,
premiering four compositions ("Serra Verde" - for guitar, "Suite Americas" -
for guitar and trombone, "Lampada do Operario" - for tenor, guitar and
trombone and "Ciclo de Improvisacoes Sobre Memorias Regionais" - for guitar
and tenor saxophone) commissioned by the great trombone player Dr. James C.
Lebens for that special occasion. Alongside the concerts, Mr. Baggio has
composed music for different ensembles and projects such as "Fantasia
Brasileira I" (for guitar) specially written for Prof. Brian Katz
(University Of Toronto). His piece "Three Insights Of The Brazilian
Landscape" (for Percussion) was one of the winner pieces of "Carl von
Ossietzky Composition Prize" at Oldenburg University (Germany). A former
pupil of Jaime Barbosa (Composition/University of Ribeirao Preto), Dr.
Marcos Cavalcante (Improvisation/University of Campinas) and Arrigo Barnabe
(Composition/ULM), Baggio is currently developing his own project called
"Guitar Solo" in which Composition and Improvisation are combined on a
particular way of instrumental performance.

Lis de Carvalho <http://www.voxnovus.com/member/pic/Lis_de_Carvalho_01.jpg>

Pianist, arranger and composer Lis de Carvalho started her Music education
with her mother, Dinea de Carvalho Ferrete when she was 6 years old and
later studied with piano jazz with Hilton Jorge Valente (Gogo); composition
with Prof. H. J. Koellroeuter; harmony, arrangement and Orquestration with
Prof. Claudio Leal Ferreira; Electronic Music and Synthesizer Programming at
Escola Sintesis; Advanced Piano with Prof. Maria Jose Carrasqueira. Lis
obtained a Bachelor's Degree in Philosophy -at FFCHL ( Faculdade de
Filosofia, Ciencias Humanas e Letras) and a Bachelor's Degree in Jazz Piano
at FASM (Faculdade Santa Marcelina). Lis de Carvalho teaches piano and
harmony, as well as the coordinator of the Jazz Piano Program at Tom Jobim
EMESP - ( Estado de Sao Paulo Music School). She has performed with the
following musicians: Paulo Moura, Raul de Souza, Lula Galvao, Roberto Sion,
Altamiro Carrilho, Edu Lobo e Orquestra Jazz Sinfonica, Quarteto em Cy,
Vania Bastos, Tete Spindola, Eliete Negreiros, Zeze Mota, Paula Lima,
Margareth Menezes, Walter Franco, among others. Lis de Carvalho has recorded
a Bossa Nova piano solo CD, for the MPBaby Series, MCD record. She has
launched a digital video class by HMP Publishing Company and recorded many
of her compositions in several CDs and DVDs with Celso Pixinga and other
mainstream musicians of vocal and instrumental music. Lis has recently
(2012) released her own CD Caminho de Dentro at the live TV Program Ses.

Vox Novus Projects

<http://www.voxnovus.com> Vox Novus
<http://www.60x60.com> 60x60
<http://www.voxnovus.com/composersvoice/> Composer's Voice