[Voxnovus] NM421> November 22, 2013 - One year of NM421 down 86 more to go - Instruments of Gods and Angels - Rolling a Hard Eight - Fifteen Minutes of Fame in Hong Kong

Robert Voisey (Vox Novus) RobVoisey at VoxNovus.com
Fri Nov 22 00:45:37 EST 2013

Can't view this email properly? Click here for the online version
<http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/issue/13-11-22.htm>
<http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421> New Music for the 21st Century

< <http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/issue/13-09-20.htm> November 22, 2013
<http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/issue/13-10-04.htm> >

VOX NOVUS NEWSLETTER - New Music for the 21st Century

> NM421 turns 1

> REVIEW: Instruments of Gods and Angels

> POSTCARD: The Everly Brothers

Vox Novus Calendar

> PERFORMANCE:

Fifteen Minutes of Fame: Surrealist Art Music premieres in Hong Kong
ANNOUNCEMENTS

> RESULTS: Selection for Rob Voisey's Hard Eight

> RESULTS: Fifteen Minutes of Fame: Surrealist Art

OPPORTUNITIES

> 60x60 5.1 - Call for Works for 5.1 Surround Sound

> Fifteen Minutes of Fame - call for works for soprano and piano duet

> Composer's Site - new opportunities

> Composer's Site - expiring opportunities

NM421 ARCHIVES

The Everly Brothers

The Everly Brothers
<http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/issue/postcard/13-11-22-The_Everly_Brothers.j
pg>

There are a few pervasive urban myths surrounding the Everly Brothers that
they'd like to debunk once and for all: [1] there were three of them, not
two; [2] they didn't grow up in the Kentucky hill country but rather in
Osaka, Japan's "Forbidden City;" and [3] they were really women. But when
they were getting started in the late 1950s, record producers had no
interest in a trio of Nipponese ladies playing traditional gagaku court
music. So their producer, a young Captain Lou Albano, showed them how to
disguise their accents with an Appalachian twang. Then he threw away their
treasured gakubiwa, gakuso, and ocarina and replaced them with steel-string
guitars. Finally, he changed the names of Sadako and Etsumi to Phil and Don.
Yukana, however, refused to be rechristened Roger. As a result, Albano
limited her appearances to hawking Everly Brothers-shaped salt water taffy
at the performance venues' concession stands. Eventually, her antipathy for
Lou abated, and in 1962 she followed him into the professional wrestling
arena, making a name for herself as "Big John Studd." And although "Phil"
and "Don" never overtly supported their sister's ringside exploits, their
colleague Jimmy Dean did allude to her in his hit song, "Big Bad John."

<http://www.davidgunn.org> David Gunn

<http://www.davidgunn.org> David Gunn
www.DavidGunn.org

Instruments of Gods and Angels

The Crane Harp Ensemble
<http://www.voxnovus.com/member/pic/Crane_Harp_Ensemble_2013_06.jpg>

REVIEW:

Composer's Voice: A Septet of Harps

The harp, instrument of gods and angels, commands the focus of November
10th's Composer's Voice concert. Featuring the talents of The Crane Harp
Ensemble from SUNY Potsdam, this performance showcased the rich timbre of
this instrument, which ranges from lushly mellifluous to stridently
discordant. Seven scarlet clad beauties, under the directive of Professor
Jessica Suchy-Pilalis, offer interpretations glazed with maturity,
tenderness, and nuance.

The Crane Harp Ensemble
<http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/img/13-11-22-Crane_Harp_Ensemble_06.jpg>

Normally a grab bag of densely packed minutes spotlighting a musician's
nimble talents, this Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame
<http://www.voxnovus.com/15_Minutes_of_Fame/featuring/Crane_Harp_Ensemble/>
acts as an interlocking suite of inviting compositions. Featuring all seven
harpists, it weaves an imaginative spell. Elbert Lui's "Carnivorous Chase"
whets our appetite with its meaty stridency, demonstrating the dexterity of
these harpists, as they wield their instruments like mythical furies. "Harp
Music," composed by Buck McDaniel romps with the ebullience of a whirring
bustle. Brimming with inky velvet mysticism, "Tailfeather" by Farcry Zuke
presents a stratifying droning,which envisions a beast of a darker
temperament. Composer Roger Mays' "Gamma Rays" regales as a jolt of sublime
color. David Heinick proffers "Sprung," a ticklish cavort bubbling with
irrepressible mischief.

The Crane Harp Ensemble
<http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/img/13-11-22-Crane_Harp_Ensemble_04.jpg>

Edward Ruchalski, Michael Mikulka, Robert Percy, Curtis Nathaniel Smith,
Inna Buganina, Erik Branch, Martin Loridan, Christopher Wicks, and Akmal
Parvez also contribute entertaining works. You can listen to the Cran Harp
Ensembles's Fifteen Minutes of Fame on YouTube Here:
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKc3gnr3aj0&feature=youtu.be>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKc3gnr3aj0&feature=youtu.be

The balance of the program showcases longer works, which highlight the
talents of the individual members of The Crane Harp Ensemble.

The Crane Harp Ensemble
<http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/img/13-11-22-Crane_Harp_Ensemble_03.jpg>

Gregoria Karides Suchy, composer and mother of director Jessica
Suchy-Pilalis, offers the
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh4Cmqu8ob4&feature=youtu.be> "Save, O Lord,
Thy People" from a Greek-inspired 1959 suite for piano. Played for the first
time on harp at this very concert, the duet, tinged in soft solemnity, acts
as a compassionate appeal for mercy.

John Paul Brabant's
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8Dx-e2UAkc&feature=youtu.be> "Soliloquy," a
piece for two harps, hints at the complexity of the human heart. With
slippery, satiny threads spooling into a deliberate subtlety, "Soliloquy"
whispers a complicated but earnest secret.

The Crane Harp Ensemble
<http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/img/13-11-22-Crane_Harp_Ensemble_02.jpg>

Caroline Lizotte's
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8Dx-e2UAkc&feature=youtu.be> "Raga pour
deux harps, Op. 41" is an audience favorite. The duet features two harpists
using tones from finger cymbals, ankle bells, and what appears to be
lollipop, but which is in fact a super ball on a stick. The piece opens with
grumbling scratches interrupting melodic splutters. Amassing in intensity,
this work weaves a thick tapestry of jade and scarlet accessorized with the
silvery thrumming of bells and cymbals. An authoritative crash indicates the
ending, abruptly slicing off the magic.

The Crane Harp Ensemble
<http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/img/13-11-22-Crane_Harp_Ensemble_01.jpg>

Mikaela Davis, a senior member of the ensemble, supplies a cheeky and
relatable reworking of Sufjan Stevens' "Chicago." The seven members
jubilantly render it with thoughtful verve. It's a party for angels.

Ryan Mix's intriguing
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o6MXehXE4Y&feature=youtu.be> "When/Where
Lightning Strikes at the T" and "Two Brothers Dance in Spacetime" and the
poignant <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUqHw5C13VE&feature=youtu.be> "The
Angel Israfil" by Domenick Argento also appear on the program.

<http://erinbomboy.blogspot.com/> Erin Bomboy

<http://erinbomboy.blogspot.com/> Erin Bomboy
http://erinbomboy.blogspot.com/

Happy Birthday NM421
<http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/img/13-11-22-Happy_Birthday_NM421.jpg>

Happy Birthday NM421!

The Vox Novus newsletter NM421 turns 1. The first year of NM421 has been as
exciting and hectic as a newborn child, listing all the upcoming
performances, composer opportunities, selection announcements, music
reviews, videos, all with a little musical postcard.

A great big thanks to all the people who have supported and contributed to
NM421! Most importantly, Erin Bomboy and Jack Crager our Composer's Voice
concert reviewers; Jay Batzner our CD reviewer; Douglas DaSilva providing a
never ending source of pictures, video, and commentary; and last but not
least NM421's signature anecdotal postcard writer David Gunn.

It has been a wild ride and of course we are looking for more!

Getting ready for our terrible two's, please let us know what you think of
NM421. Do you like it? Do you hate it? Want to see something more? Want to
see something less? If we can accommodate we will. The hope is to keep
growing NM421 into something much bigger. NM421 is looking for reviewers and
bloggers to speak about contemporary music. Please contact us at
support at voxnovus.com

Hard Eight <http://www.voxnovus.com/img/Hard_Eight.gif>

Hard Eight announcement for
Rob Voisey's upcoming Birthday concert.

Fifteen Minutes of Fame: Hard Eight

Musicians Istvan Peter B'Racz, Bill Beckett, Brendan Randall-Myers, and Nate
Trier will be performing the graphic scores for Robert Voisey's call for his
Fifteen Minutes of Fame: Hard Eight

Composers selected for Robert Voisey's Fifteen Minutes of Fame: Hard Eight
Dennis Bathory-Kistz - Underside, Shawn David Broukhim - Sketch, Paul Elwood
- Taos Junction, Marc Hoffeditz - Rainbow Road , Elizabeth Jigalin - toy
box, Steven H. Markowitz - Bird Symposium, Daniel Mihai - Lucky Dice, Philip
Scheussler - FOURXTWO, Timothy G. Schirmer - Shooter's End, David Jason Snow
- Brood II, Juan Maria Solare - Ocho Blando, Adam Torkelson - 1.618, Nate
Trier - Seis Six, Kristina Warren - Rivulet, and Blair Whittington - Lucky
Seven

Hard Eight Proposals for Composer's Voice

Performance proposals for the Composer's Voice concert on December 8th
celebrating Robert Voisey's 44th Birthday titled Hard Eight inlcude:
Choreographer Callie Hatchett creating a dance to Robert Voisey' "run rabbit
run" performed by Roberta Michel, flute and Yumi Suehiro, piano; TJ
Hospodar's "INNERTERP"; "The Ridgefield Rag" and "Il Est Ne" by Douglas
Townsend, two pieces for piano 4-hands performed by Christos Marinos, piano
and Maria Isabel Perez Dobarro; Douglas DaSilva's Jor-El's Juju performed bu
Nicholas Handahl-flute, Diego Vasquez-clarinet Josh Henderson-violin Susan
Davita Mandel-cello with choreography by Erin Bomboy dance by D Pace Short,
Meghann Bronson, Ali Berg Nicola, Samantha Parsons; and a pefromance of
"Whale Cage" by EMR and guest.

<http://www.voxnovus.com/15_Minutes_of_Fame/featuring/Hard_Eight/> You can
find more information here
http://www.voxnovus.com/15_Minutes_of_Fame/featuring/Hard_Eight/

Fifteen Minutes of Fame
<http://www.voxnovus.com/img/Fifteen_Minutes_of_Fame_logo_new.jpg>

Announcing Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame: Surrealist Art Music.

This Fifteen Minutes of Fame will feature performance from Sophia Yan,
William Lane, and Izumi Nikaido. The works will be premiered in November
2013 as part of the Hong Kong New Music Ensemble's Salon Series at
Southsite, Hong Kong.

Marco Alumno - Murmuring 'Tea for Two', Julius Bucsis - Persisting Memories,
Charis Bean Duke - This is not a piece, Whitney George - A Jewel Studded
Cigarette Case in Which to Store Mustaches, Ernest Hui - Micrometamorphosis,
Vladimir Karpenko - The Contrasts, Albert HC Manders - Farfallone in a
Landscape, Djordje Markovic - Celebes, Sascia Pellegrini - (6e+10) to
infinity, Gene Pritsker - Cries, Dimitri Rastropov L'anneau de Moebius, Bob
Siebert - Aquis Submersus, David Jason Snow - Die alte Frau, Samuel Stokes -
Mein Merveilleux Salvador, and Ruben Vizcaino - Moonbird

<http://www.voxnovus.com/15_Minutes_of_Fame/featuring/Sophia_Yan/Surrealist_
Art_Music/> You can find more information here
http://www.voxnovus.com/15_Minutes_of_Fame/featuring/Sophia_Yan/Surrealist_A
rt_Music/

Upcoming Performances

Fifteen Minutes of Fame: Surrealist Art
<http://www.voxnovus.com/img/Fifteen_Minutes_of_Fame_logo_new.jpg>
<http://www.voxnovus.com/member/pic/Izumi_Nikaido.jpg>
<http://www.voxnovus.com/member/pic/Sophia_Yan.jpg>
<http://www.voxnovus.com/member/pic/William_Lane.jpg>

Fifteen Minutes of Fame
<http://www.voxnovus.com/15_Minutes_of_Fame/featuring/Sophia_Yan/Surrealist_
Art_Music/>

Thursday November 28, 2013 - Fifteen Minutes of Fame: Surrealist Art Music
premieres in Hong Kong

Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame: Surrealist Art Music. This Fifteen Minutes of Fame
will feature performance from Sophia Yan, William Lane, and Izumi Nikaido.
The works will be premiered November 28, 2013, 7:30pm as part of the Hong
Kong New Music Ensemble's Salon Series at Southsite, Hong Kong.

This Fifteen Minutes of Fame will feature performance from Sophia Yan,
William Lane, and Izumi Nikaido. Sophia Yan has dedicated herself to new
music, premiering and performing pieces by living composers including Emily
Koh, Ryan Pratt, Emily Doolittle and Faye-Ellen Silverman, and appearing
frequently on the "Composer's Voice" series in New York She has been praised
by the New York Times as a performer whose "music literally pulls her off
the piano bench; she ranges up and down the keyboard so quickly and with
such ferocity that mere sitting will not do." William Lane has been
recipient of the Alcorso Scholarship and an Asialink Fellowship. William was
Violist in the Hong Kong Philharmonic (2008-2010), Principal Viola of
Ensemble Resonanz (Hamburg/ Germany, 2007-2008), as well as working on a
freelance basis with Ensemble Modern (Frankfurt, 2006-2007), the SMASH
Ensemble (Salamanca/ Spain, 2008). As a new music advocate, William is
Artistic Director of the Hong Kong New Music Ensemble, giving regular
concerts in Hong Kong, Macau, Guangzhou, Kuala Lumpur and Singapore. He is
also member of the Anonymous Quartet (HK). Izumi Nikaido is Japanese
freelance flute player in Hong Kong.

<http://www.voxnovus.com/15_Minutes_of_Fame/featuring/Sophia_Yan/Surrealist_
Art_Music/> Click here to see the concert program

Fifteen Minutes of Fame: Surrealist Art Music
<http://www.voxnovus.com/15_Minutes_of_Fame/featuring/Sophia_Yan/Surrealist_
Art_Music/>
Thursday, November 28, 2013, 7:30pm
Southsite Salon
2B, 3/F, Blue Box Factory Building
25 Hing Wo Street
Tin Wan 0000 Aberdeen
Hong Kong

Calendar

<http://www.voxnovus.com/calendar> Calendar of Vox Novus Events

Vox Novus Projects

<http://www.voxnovus.com> Vox Novus <http://www.60x60.com> 60x60
<http://www.voxnovus.com/composersvoice/> Composer's Voice
<http://www.voxnovus.com/15_Minutes_of_Fame/> Fifteen Minutes of Fame
<http://www.voxnovus.com/resources/American_Composer_Timeline.htm> American
Composer Timeline
<http://www.composerssite.com/> Composer's Site
<http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/> NM421 - New Music for the 21st Century

Opportunities

60x60 <http://www.voxnovus.com/img/60x60_2012_logo.jpg>

<http://www.60x60.com/calls/>
60x60 CALL FOR WORKS

Call for Surround Sound Works: 60?60

Deadline: December 1, 2013

Vox Novus and Harvestworks are inviting composers and sound artists to
submit recorded works as 5.1 audio 60 seconds or less in length to be
included in a special 60?60 project collaboration in New York City.

60?60 is calling for works one-minute in length for 5.1 audio playback.

60?60 is a one-hour-long show made by sequencing 60 pre-recorded pieces by
60 different composers, each piece a minute in length or shorter. This 60?60
call for works is a unique collaboration with Harvestworks in New York City
to create a 5.1 surround sound mix which will be premiered at Harvestworks
multichannel TEAMLab listening room in Spring 2014.

Deadline for 60 second compositions for 60?60 is December 1, 2013.

There is no admission fee.

Works selected for the 60?60 5.1 will be announced in January 2014. The 60
works selected will be announced on the Vox Novus newsletter NM421 as well
as the 60?60 and Harvestworks websites.

Any questions regarding the call for works can be addressed to:
Support at VoxNovus.com

Any questions regarding the technical aspects can be addressed to:
hanst at harvestworks.org

<http://www.harvestworks.org/dec-1-call-for-surround-sound-works-60x60/>
Click here for more details at Harvestworks

Fifteen Minutes of Fame
<http://www.voxnovus.com/img/Fifteen_Minutes_of_Fame_logo.jpg>

<http://www.voxnovus.com/15_Minutes_of_Fame/calls/>
Fifteen Minutes of Fame

CALL FOR SCORES

Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame: Shannon Roberts, soprano & Yumi Suehiro, piano

Deadline: November 30, 2013

Vox Novus is calling for one-minute pieces composed for
Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame: Shannon Roberts, soprano & Yumi Suehiro, piano to
be premiered on March 30, 2014 for the Composer's Voice concert Series at
the Jan Hus Church in New York City.

<http://www.voxnovus.com/member/pic/Shannon_Roberts.jpg>

Soprano Shannon Roberts holds dual US and Irish citizenship, dividing her
time between New York City and Europe. She finds it an important and
rewarding endeavor to collaborate with living composers, and has premiered
works by several, including award winning Juilliard composer Bruce Lazarus
and most recently Nailah Nombeko's William Blake Songs. Ms. Roberts is a
multiple award winner receiving prizes, grants, and or scholarships from:
The Wagner Society of New York, the Liederkranz Foundation, and the Lee
Schaenen Foundation, among others. A partial list of the companies with
which she has performed includes; Santa Fe Opera, The Florida Grand Opera,
Natchez Festival of Music, Chelsea Opera, Opera Theatre of Connecticut, The
Bronx Opera, Lyric Opera of New York, and Bel Cantanti. Ms. Roberts attended
the Hartt School of Music, received a Bachelor of Music from the University
of Florida, and was awarded a Special Artists' Diploma from Miami's
prestigious New World School of the Arts. Ms. Roberts is managed by John
Miller of Pinnacle Artists Management.

<http://www.voxnovus.com/member/pic/Yumi_Suehiro_01.jpg>

Pianist Yumi Suehiro began studying both piano and marimba at an early age.
In her native Japan, Ms. Suehiro won numerous competitions, including the
top prize at the Kobe International Competition as the youngest winner. As a
pianist, she has performed at New York City's Weill Recital Hall (Carnegie)
as an AMTL Audition Winner, and at Steinway Hall, presented by the Amati
Music Festival. She also was the featured marimba player in Latin
percussionist Victor Rendon's recording of "Fiesta Percussiva". Ms. Suehiro
graduated from Lehman College (CUNY) and the Manhattan School of Music.
While at Manhattan, she won second prize in the school's 2010 piano concerto
competition, and in 2011 was chosen to perform Richard Wilson's "Flashback"
for Pierre Aimard's master class. Her teachers have included Morris Lang,
John Corigliano, Peter Vinograde, and Zenon Fishbein. Recently Ms. Suehiro
is a member of Mise-en ensemble and frequently appears at Composer's Voice
concerts.

<http://www.voxnovus.com/15_Minutes_of_Fame/calls/#13-11-30> Click here for
more details

<http://www.composerssite.com/new_opp> Composer's Site