[Voxnovus] NM421> October 11, 2013 - Composer's Voice - This Sunday, works inspired by Innovative Renegade & A Review of the Third Annual Children's Concert

Robert Voisey (Vox Novus) RobVoisey at VoxNovus.com
Fri Oct 11 08:43:10 EDT 2013

Can't view this email properly? Click here for the online version
<http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/issue/13-10-11.htm>
<http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421> New Music for the 21st Century

< <http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/issue/13-10-04.htm> October 11, 2013
<http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/issue/13-10-18.htm> >

VOX NOVUS NEWSLETTER - New Music for the 21st Century

> REVIEW: Composer's Voice: Music for all Ages

> POSTCARD: Don't Mess with Mukremin

Vox Novus Calendar

> PERFORMANCE: Composer's Voice

>From the Music of Future Generations,

to Works Inspired by an Innovative Renegade
OPPORTUNITIES

> Fifteen Minutes of Fame - call for works for solo clarinet

> Composer's Site - new opportunities

> Composer's Site - expiring opportunities

NM421 ARCHIVES

REVIEW

Composer's Voice: Music for all Ages

- by Erin Bomboy

Composer's Voice looks to the future generation of music writers in its
third annual Children's concert. Featuring a tantalizing array of pieces
contributed by adults and children alike, the show is childlike but never
childish.

Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame highlights the talents of New York's Cross Island
Trio. Showcasing Elinor Abrams Zayas on piano, Suzanne Muller on cello, and
Sandy Tepper on clarinet, Cross Island Trio offers richly textured
interpretations that sing with brightness and throb with feeling.

Cross Island <http://www.voxnovus.com/member/pic/CROSS_ISLAND.jpg> Sandy
Tepper <http://www.voxnovus.com/member/pic/Sandy_Tepper.jpg>

Kevin Holland's Rush Hour Waltz immediately sets the tone for this concert.
Bustling at a hearty tempo, it bursts with wonderment before closing with an
emphatic smile. A la valse, contributed by Steven Serpa, contrasts the
glassine register of the clarinet with the warm, chocolate-y tones of the
cello, evoking a fabled fascination. A rollicking cross rhythm characterizes
Benjamin Williams' A Jaunt in the Rain. With notes that pitter and patter,
it acts as a pair of glossy red rain boots high-kicking against a sky
streaked with storm. Aptly named I'm So Happy, John Spartan and Libby Moyer
fashion an exultant lark; an exuberant clarinet solo transforms into a
hopping romp brimming with spinning expansiveness. Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame
culminates with Alan Elkins's Overclocked, arousing shot of caffeine,
gurgling with frenzied activity. It crests to a brief pause before a jaunty
tag signs off with a flourish.

The balance of the program is devoted to longer works, which capture the
sunshine, curiosity, and wonderment of childhood.

Cl'oud, contributed byJimmy Pigott, growls and rumbles with brisk
insistence. Argumentative yet sporting playful edges, it is brief, bold, and
entrancing.

Alexandra Frederick
<http://www.voxnovus.com/member/pic/Alexandra_Frederick.jpg>

Vrinda Trivedi's My Garden Grows and Moaz Mneimneh's Bowl On Top of Bowl
spotlight two young composers with a flowering talent. Lucid in their
unclouded honesty, these compositions charm with their straightforward
purity. Vocalist and pianist Alexandra Frederick underscores these
unfettered virtues with a fastidiously authentic performance.

Father Douglas DaSilva and son Jason DaSilva team up on AT-26 Xavante. With
Dad on clarinet, the younger DaSilva crafts a military inspired piece,
sustained by a catchy melody edged in blue. Highlighting an agreeable
shading of ranges, AT-26 Xavante offers a jaunty salute capped with an
ending punctuation.

Melissa Wimbish <http://www.voxnovus.com/member/pic/Melissa_Wimbish.jpg>
Hui-Chuan Chen <http://www.voxnovus.com/member/pic/Hui-Chuan_Chen.jpg>

Seasoned composer Robert Voisey's Heavy Clouds and fledgling music maker J.
P. Redmond's Three Poems to Sing demonstrate - manifested through the
delightful performances of pianist Melissa Wimbish and pianist Hui-Chuan
Chen - the seductive power of words girded by sweet and savory harmonies.
Heavy Clouds, atmospheric with each note meaningfully pure, stirs with its
ethereal panting. Three Poems to a Sing snaps and captivates with three
punchy, pungent poems. While these compositions sound markedly different,
their juxtaposition highlights the eternal ability of music, whether by
child or adult, to move listeners.

Fifteen-Minutes-of Fame also presents lively selections from Bob Siebert,
David Heuser, Steven Kreamer, Masatora Goya, Helga Beier, Adam Giese, Ruben
Toledo, Scott Brickman, Tim Labor, and Dominic Dousa.

Other selections included Connor McCarthy's enchanting Summer Melody with
Suzanne Muller on cello, Barry Goldstein's Butterfly with choreography by
Gabriel Chajnik and a magical duet by dancer Jessica Black and soprano Elisa
Brown, Greg Bartholomew's trilling and thrilling The Flutist's Field Guide
to the Western Tanager with Lish Lindsey on flute, Vrinda Trivedi's Swinging
at the Park, Jesse Berman's hopscotching Epic, Moaz Mneimneh's The Fastest
Car in the World, Jimmy Pigott's Oud Ples and Marching Blues, Douglas
DaSilva's bold watercolor - Czysta Magia with a remarkably nuanced
performance by Katarzyna Bryla, Nuha Dolby's dynamic Piano Music and Journey
with Hui-Chuan Chen on piano, and Robert Voisey's Flowing Streams.

<http://erinbomboy.blogspot.com/> Erin Bomboy

<http://erinbomboy.blogspot.com/> Erin Bomboy
http://erinbomboy.blogspot.com/

Don't Mess with Mukremin

Don't Mess with Mukremin
<http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/issue/postcard/13-10-11-Dont_Mess_with_Mukrem
in.jpg>

Mukremin Orhan Oncel was one of Turkey's most dynamic conductors. Holding
degrees from both the ITU Turkish Music State Conservatory and the
Constantinople Wrestling Academy, he often employed both disciplines during
a concert. Once, when the principal clarinetist squeaked the opening
glissando in Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue, the miffed maestro subjected the
poor chap to the Oncel Head Lock. But thereafter, no member of his orchestra
ever made a mistake! <http://www.davidgunn.org> David Gunn

<http://www.davidgunn.org> David Gunn
www.DavidGunn.org

Upcoming Performances

Composer's Voice
<http://www.voxnovus.com/img/Composers_Voice_logo_2012.jpg>

Composer's Voice:
<http://www.voxnovus.com/composersvoice/program/13-10-13.htm>

>From the Music of Future Generations,

to Works Inspired by an Innovative Renegade

Sunday October 13, 2013 - 1:00 PM

Composer's Voice featuring Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame: Stephen Porter, piano
Re-Imagining Debussy Music by Argentinian and Brazilian composers: Caio
Senna; Juan Maria Solare; Marisol Gentile; Claudia Montero; and Robert
Voisey. Performances by Agueda Fernandez-Abad, soprano; Kenji Haba, guitar;
Susan Davita Mandel, cello; and Yumi Suhiro, piano.

Fifteen Minutes of Fame:
Re-Imagining Debussy for Pianist Stephen Porter

A composer whose turbulent and scandalous life is mirrored by his dissonant
and mysterious music, Debussy's compositions sought to defy the societal
expectations of his time. Vox Novus' third concert of the season jumps from
a concert about the next generation of composers to a 151 year old composer
who sought to bring edge and intrigue into his work and shift the field of
music composition towards new heights.

Stephen Porter <http://www.voxnovus.com/member/pic/Stephen_Porter_01.jpg>

It's no wonder that internationally acclaimed concert pianist, Stephen
Porter, seeks to invigorate the music of today with works inspired by such a
dramatic and innovative composer of the past. This Composer's Voice concert
features fifteen one-minute works written by composers from all over the
world, including Erik Branch, Anne-Marie Turcotte, Anna Aidinian, Giuseppe
Lupis, Steven H. Markowitz, Aurelio Scotto, Dustin Peters, Juan Maria
Solare, Peter Reilich, Remigio Coco, Serban Nichifor, Cindi Hsu, James Soe
Nyun, Jose Jesus de Azevedo Souza, and Darren Wirth. With influences from
Canada to Europe and South America to Taiwan, this concert is bound to
invigorate the senses and re-envision a renowned composer of impressionist
music.

You can find more details on Stephen Porter's Fifteen Minutes of Fame at the
following link:
http://www.voxnovus.com/15_Minutes_of_Fame/featuring/Stephen_Porter/

In 2012, Stephen Porter was named artist-resident of the Cite Internationale
Des Arts in Paris, and invited to give recitals of the music of Claude
Debussy during the composer's 150th birthday year. His performances have
been critically acclaimed as "masterful...everything is graceful and
appropriate." Mr. Porter was recently the guest on National Public Radio's
"Diane Rehm Show," to discuss Debussy's life and music. He has appeared as
soloist at Albert Long Hall in Istanbul, the Rockefeller Foundation at Lake
Como, the University of Rio de Janeiro, and LSO St. Luke's with the Amadeus
Orchestra of London.

The concert will also feature longer works by Juan Maria Solare, Robert
Voisey, and Claudia Montero. Mr. Porter is joined by performers Kenji Haba
(guitar), Susan Davita Mandel (cello), Agueda Fern?ndez-Abad (soprano), and
Yumi Suehiro (piano)

Kenji Haba <http://www.voxnovus.com/member/pic/Kenji_Haba.jpg>

Kenji Haba is a guitarist who is exclusively sensitive to timbres in
appreciating and expressing the beauty of guitar. Recently, he has been
focusing on impressionistic music, especially that of Debussy, Ravel, and
Takemitsu.

Susan Davita Mandel
<http://www.voxnovus.com/member/pic/Susan_Davita_Mandel.jpg>

Cellist, Susan Davita Mandel has performed as a finalist for the AMTL Young
Musician's concert series. She brings together multiple genres of music,
collaborating with hip-hop, pop, rock, and jazz artists. Recently, Susan was
the featured cellist in Jihae and John Patrick Shanley's opera "Fire Burning
Rain" at the Highline Ballroom in NYC and the Not For Sale campaign event in
the San Francisco Bay Area.

Agueda_Fernandez-Abad
<http://www.voxnovus.com/member/pic/Agueda_Alejandra_Fernandez_Abad.jpg>

Throughout her career, Agueda Fernandez-Abad has performed operas and
oratorios with the leading orchestras of Argentina, the United States and
Europe. She is the recipient of numerous awards, including the National Fund
of Performing Arts Singer of the Year.

Composer's Voice Concert Series is an opportunity for contemporary composers
to express their musical aesthetic and personal "voice" created in their
compositions. Started in 2001, the "Composer's Voice" concert series has
presented over 100 concerts throughout the world premiering the works of
thousands of living composers.

<http://www.voxnovus.com/composersvoice/program/13-10-13.htm> Click here to
see the concert program

View Larger Map
<https://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&ie=UTF8&q=Jan+Hus+Ch
urch,+351+East+74th+Street,+New+York+City&fb=1&gl=us&hq=Jan+Hus+Church,&hnea
r=0x89c258c0ec870a25:0xd338d8ba90431457,351+E+74th+St,+New+York,+NY+10021&ci
d=0,0,8365410865589470695&t=m&iwloc=A&ll=40.769792,-73.956352&spn=0.006295,0
.006295&source=embed>

Composer <http://www.voxnovus.com/composersvoice/program/13-10-13.htm> 's
Voice Concert
Sunday September 15th, 2013
Jan Hus Church
351 East 74th Street
New York, New York FREE ADMISSION

Compsoer's Voice
<http://www.voxnovus.com/img/Composers_Voice_logo_2012.jpg>

Calendar

<http://www.voxnovus.com/calendar> Calendar of Vox Novus Events

Opportunities

Fifteen Minutes of Fame
<http://www.voxnovus.com/img/Fifteen_Minutes_of_Fame_logo.jpg>

<http://www.voxnovus.com/15_Minutes_of_Fame/calls/>
Fifteen Minutes of Fame

CALL FOR SCORES

Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame: Javier Perez Garrido
Romances for solo clarinet

Deadline October 14, 2013

Vox Novus is calling for one-minute pieces composed for
Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame: Javier Perez Garrido, Romances for solo clarinet to
be premiered February 14, 2014 at the Conservatorio Profesional de Musica de
Cartagena (Murcia), Spain. Submission guidelines: This call is open to all
composers. All works must be 60 seconds or less. Theme: Romance - The
composers can interpret this creatively. Submitted works can be written in
any style and use any technique.

Javier Perez Garrido holds an Advanced Degree in Clarinet Performance (2008)
and Composition (2010) from the Conservatory of Murcia, Spain. He has been
given performance and composition awards in several national and
international music competitions. Javier has played as soloist with many of
the most important youth wind and symphonic orchestras around Europe. Since
1998, he has composed nearly 80 works including solo, chamber, ensemble,
choir, wind orchestra and orchestra pieces. His compositions have been
performed in various European and American countries. www.perezgarrido.com

<http://www.voxnovus.com/15_Minutes_of_Fame/calls/#13-10-14> Click here for
more details

<http://www.composerssite.com/new_opp> Composer's Site