[Voxnovus] NM421> September 6, 2013 - Awaking from the Summer Slumber

Robert Voisey (Vox Novus) RobVoisey at VoxNovus.com
Fri Sep 6 08:10:44 EDT 2013

Can't view this email properly? Click here for the online version
<http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/issue/13-07-05.htm>
<http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421> New Music for the 21st Century

< <http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/issue/13-07-05.htm> September 6, 2013
<http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/issue/13-09-13.htm> >

VOX NOVUS NEWSLETTER - New Music for the 21st Century

> FROM ROB VOISEY: Summer Slumber

> POSTCARD: The Original Night Visitors

Vox Novus Calendar
ANNOUNCEMENTS

> RESULTS: Fifteen Minutes of Fame for Crawford/Ashe Duets

OPPORTUNITIES

> Fifteen Minutes of Fame - call for works - a very small consortium

> Composer's Voice - calling for electric-jazz guitar and piano works

> Composer's Site - composer opportunities

NM421 ARCHIVES

Summer Slumber

Awaking from Summer slumber; NM421 is back in force! (Not that there was
really too much rest for me, if you are interested in all that take a look
at facebook.)

A new season begins for Composer's Voice. Coming up on September 15th
Composer's Voice starts its fall season with a Fifteen Minutes of Fame using
text from Shakespeare's character Titania. There are great things in store
for Composer's Voice and we have fantastic musicians traveling form all over
to come and perform new works for us here in New York City.

Fifteen Minutes of Fame is just taken off! We have more than 10 calls open
for composers to submit works. We have many many performances set for
ensembles to premiere works here in New York City and across the globe. And
that is just a teaser! There is so much more brewing we hope to announce
soon.

60x60 is slowing waking up from the summer. I hope to get more information
out about the upcoming events and calls soon. I am still looking for
volunteers and presenters, please contact me if you are interested in
helping.

And now NM421 has returned with lots of new music postcards from David Gunn,
reviews for our series, composer opportunities and much much more. I am
looking for writers, bloggers, and reviewers for NM421; if you are
interested, please contact me.

Much more coming soon! Hang on tight!

<http://www.robvoisey.com> Rob Voisey

<http://www.robvoisey.com> Rob Voisey
www.RobVoisey.com

The Original Night Visitors

The Original Night Visitors
<http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/issue/postcard/13-09-06-The_Original_Night_Vi
sitors.jpg>

Will we ever see the original "Amahl and the Night Visitors?" That first
version of Gian Carlo Menotti's opera begins with chronic fibber Amahl
Goldberg sitting outside his house in Miami Beach playing a tuba. He tells
his mother that an amazing star "as big as a window" is hovering overhead,
and the two of them trade arias about it ("O Mother, You Should Go Outside";
"Stop Bothering Me!"). But this time, the kid isn't kidding, as hundreds of
city folk later attest ("Enquiring Minds Need to Know"). Soon,
extraterrestrials invade the Earth, subjugating humankind and despoiling the
planet's tomatoes. NBC, which commissioned the opera, was hoping for a more
uplifting plot line. So Menotti, who was behind on his rent and needed the
money, rewrote it. Three benevolent kings replaced the aliens, and all
traces of serialism - so crucial to the despoiling of tomatoes scene -
vanished. Doesn't any enquiring mind long to see the original?

<http://www.davidgunn.org> David Gunn

<http://www.davidgunn.org> David Gunn
www.DavidGunn.org

Upcoming Performances

Announcements

Fifteen Minutes of Fame
<http://www.voxnovus.com/img/Fifteen_Minutes_of_Fame_logo_new.jpg>
<http://www.voxnovus.com/member/pic/Katherine_Crawford.jpg>
<http://www.voxnovus.com/member/pic/Rebecca_Ashe.jpg>

Announcing results for
Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame: Titania (Queen of the Fairies)
Katie Crawford and Rebecca Ashe

Vox Novus called one-minute pieces composed for Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame:
Titania, Queen of the Fairies featuring Katherine Crawford and Rebecca Ashe.
The works were inspired on lines spoken by the character Titania (Queen of
the Fairies) in William Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream.

Composer's selected for this Fifteen Minutes of Fame are: Michele Abondano,
Brad Baumgardner, Erik Branch, Sabrina Clarke, Anthony Donofrio, Joseph
Eidson, Paul Gelsing, Fermino Gomes, Kevin Holland, Jason F. Rinehart, Jana
Skarecky, Jose Jesus de Azevedo Souza, Thommy Wahlstrom, Andrew Walters, and
Christopher M. Wicks.

Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame: Titania (Queen of the Fairies) will begin the fall
season with a world premiere of the works on Sunday, September 15, 2013 1:00
pm at Jan Hus Presbyterian Church in New York City.

Crawford and Ashe are traveling to New York to perform the world premiere
this Fifteen Minutes of Fame: Titania (Queen of the Fairies).

Katherine Crawford sings with the Grammy Award-winning Kansas City Chorale,
the Kansas City Symphony Chorus, and is the lead vocalist in The Digital
Honk Box Revival, an improvisational electroacoustic music group.

Flutist Rebecca Ashe was the first American flautist to perform a recital at
the Academy of Music in Latvia. She is a founding member of Dark Matter, a
collective of composers, performers and scientists.

Sunday, September 15, 2013 1:00 pm
Jan Hus Presbyterian Church
www.janhus.org
351 East 75th Street
New York, NY 10021-3798
FREE ADMISSION

<http://www.voxnovus.com/15_Minutes_of_Fame/featuring/Katie_Crawford-Rebecca
_Ashe/> You can find more information here
http://www.voxnovus.com/15_Minutes_of_Fame/featuring/Katie_Crawford-Rebecca_
Ashe/

Calendar

<http://www.voxnovus.com/calendar> Calendar of Vox Novus Events

Composer's Site
<http://www.composerssite.com/sites/all/themes/composer_theme/cpcc.jpg>

New Opportunities

Expiring Opportunities

*

Call for scores for Tenor voice and Piano
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/4113>
*

Klingler ElectroAcoustic Residency (KEAR)
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/4110>
Deadline: 10 Sep 2013
*

OPEN CALL: WHITE BUILDING/EYEBEAM RESIDENCY PROGRAM 2014
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/4111>
Deadline: 13 Sep 2013
*

2013 CBDNA YOUNG BAND COMPOSITION CONTEST
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/4105>
Deadline: 15 Oct 2013
*

RED NOTE New Music Festival - Composition Competition
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/4104>
Entry Fee: 25.00
Deadline: 15 Oct 2013
*

RED NOTE New Music Festival - Student Composition Workshop
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/4103>
Deadline: 15 Oct 2013
*

John Cage Memorial Random Composer Award
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/4099>
Deadline: 1 Nov 2013
*

Australian Boys Choir will celebrate 75 years with a choral
composition competition <http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/4090>
Deadline: 2 Dec 2013
*

<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/4078> "Tokyo to New York"

Entry Fee: 0.00
Deadline: 15 Nov 2013
*

competition et opportunities
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/4047>
*

XXXVI International Forum of New Music Manuel Enriquez, Mexico City
2014 <http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/4048>
Entry Fee: 0.00
Deadline: 30 Sep 2013
*

Mill Ave Chamber Players
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/4044>
Entry Fee: 0.00
Deadline: 1 Oct 2013
*

NMC 2014 USF NEW-MUSIC FESTIVAL CALL FOR SCORES
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/4041>
Deadline: 1 Oct 2013
*

Young Composer Christmas Carol Competition
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/4038>
Entry Fee: 10.00
Deadline: 15 Oct 2013
*

XXII PASODOBLE MUSIC COMPOSITION CONTEST
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/4034> "VILLA DE POZO ESTRECHO"
Deadline: 16 Nov 2013

*

MNM Festival 2015: Call for proposals
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3824>
Deadline: 6 Sep 2013
*

Call for Scores International Women
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3823> 's Day March 8, 2014
Deadline: 8 Sep 2013
*

Calling for works (3-5 minutes) composed for electric-jazz guitar
and piano <http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3368>
Deadline: 9 Sep 2013
*

Klingler ElectroAcoustic Residency (KEAR)
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/4110>
Deadline: 10 Sep 2013
*

Up Close Student Composer 2013-14
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3746>
Deadline: 10 Sep 2013
*

Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame: Courtney Sherman, soprano with a very small
consortium <http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3100>
Entry Fee: 0.00
Deadline: 12 Sep 2013
*

OPEN CALL: WHITE BUILDING/EYEBEAM RESIDENCY PROGRAM 2014
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/4111>
Deadline: 13 Sep 2013
*

AUT (Aarhus Unge Tonekunstnere) announce a
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3484> call for composers
Deadline: 15 Sep 2013
*

Decomposer <http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3845> 's Night
+ H. P. Lovecraft: call for scores!
Deadline: 15 Sep 2013
*

dissonart ensemble call for scores
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3877>
Deadline: 15 Sep 2013
*

PROJECT Trio Composition Competition!
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3191>
Entry Fee: 20.00
Deadline: 15 Sep 2013
*

The MacDowell Colony <http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/1571>

Entry Fee: 30.00
Deadline: 15 Sep 2013
*

The MacDowell Colony Winter/Spring 2014
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/2792>
Entry Fee: 30.00
Deadline: 15 Sep 2013
*

Virginia Center for the Creative Arts
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3570> - Residency
Entry Fee: 30.00
Deadline: 15 Sep 2013
*

YourLDSMusicStore.com Composition Contest
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3516>
Entry Fee: 0.00
Deadline: 15 Sep 2013
*

Call for Streetwise Opera Composer in Residence
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3968>
Deadline: 16 Sep 2013
*

MuSE 2nd Young Composers Competition
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3303>
Entry Fee: 45.00
Deadline: 16 Sep 2013
*

2013 Call for Scores: New Works for Unaccompanied Viola da Gamba
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3415>
Entry Fee: 20.00
Deadline: 20 Sep 2013
*

FlevaRes Residencies for Artists 2014 Cyprus
<http://www.composerssite.com/opportunity/3619>
Entry Fee: 0.00
Deadline: 20 Sep 2013

Opportunities

Fifteen Minutes of Fame
<http://www.voxnovus.com/img/Fifteen_Minutes_of_Fame_logo.jpg>

<http://www.voxnovus.com/15_Minutes_of_Fame/calls/>
Fifteen Minutes of Fame

CALL FOR SCORES

Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame: Courtney Sherman, soprano with a very small
consortium

Deadline: September 12, 2013

Vox Novus is calling for one-minute pieces composed for
Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame: Courtney Sherman, soprano with a very small
consortium to be premiered on January 12, 2014 for the Composer's Voice
concert Series at the Jan Hus Church in New York City. Works are to be
written for soprano with any combination of one or more of the following
instruments: soprano saxophone, trumpet, horn, piano, cello. Works for solo
soprano will also be considered.

a very small consortium is based at the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay
and is dedicated to the performance of miniature masterpieces. We do more
with less. We get to the point. We do small music, but we have big plans.
This iteration of a very small consortium will consist of Courtney Sherman,
soprano; Lada Gaines, soprano saxophone; Adam Gaines, trumpet, Michelle
McQuade Dewhirst, horn; David Severtson, piano; Michael Dewhirst, cello.

<http://www.voxnovus.com/15_Minutes_of_Fame/calls/#13-09-12> Click here for
more details

Composer's Voice
<http://www.voxnovus.com/img/Composers_Voice_logo_2012.jpg>

<http://www.voxnovus.com/composersvoice/calls/>
Composer's Voice
CALL FOR SCORES

Calling for works composed for electric-jazz guitar and piano

Vox Novus is calling for short pieces (3-5 minutes) minute pieces composed
for electric-jazz guitar and piano to be premiered by Rodrigo Baggio, guitar
and Lis de Carvalho,piano)at the EMESP College of Music in collaboration
with Composer's Voice concert Series October 20, 2013 in Sao Paolo, Brazil

The 3-5 minute pieces are to be written specifically for this project. This
call is open to all composers.

Rodrigo Baggio has excelled internationally in 2012, playing concerts and
having his music played in various countries around the globe. Baggio is
currently developing his own project called "Guitar Solo" in which
Composition and Improvisation are combined on a particular way of
instrumental performance.

Pianist, arranger and composer Lis de Carvalho started her Music education
with her mother, Dinea de Carvalho Ferrete when she was 6 years old and
later studied with piano jazz with Hilton Jorge Valente (Gogo); composition
with Prof. H. J. Koellroeuter; harmony, arrangement and Orquestration with
Prof. Claudio Leal Ferreira; Electronic Music and Synthesizer Programming at
Escola Sintesis; Advanced Piano with Prof. Maria Jose Carrasqueira. Lis
obtained a Bachelor's Degree in Philosophy -at FFCHL ( Faculdade de
Filosofia, Ciencias Humanas e Letras) and a Bachelor's Degree in Jazz Piano
at FASM (Faculdade Santa Marcelina). Lis de Carvalho teaches piano and
harmony, as well as the coordinator of the Jazz Piano Program at Tom Jobim
EMESP - ( Estado de Sao Paulo Music School).

Click here for more details
<http://www.voxnovus.com/composersvoice/calls/>
http://www.voxnovus.com/composersvoice/calls/

Vox Novus Projects