[Voxnovus] NM421> August 1, 2014 - Fifteen Minutes of Fame at New Music for Double Reeds - REVIEW: The West Porch Beech Tree Concert Series by Joseph Bohigian - Thoughts Curating at Composer's Voice by Joseph Bohigian

Robert Voisey (Vox Novus) RobVoisey at VoxNovus.com
Fri Aug 1 08:24:29 EDT 2014

Can't view this email properly? Click here for the online version
<http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/issue/14-08-01.htm>
	 <http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421> New Music for the 21st Century

< <http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/issue/14-07-25.htm> 	 August 1, 2014
<http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/issue/14-08-08.htm> >

VOX NOVUS NEWSLETTER - New Music for the 21st Century
> REVIEW: The West Porch Beech Tree Concert Series by Joseph Bohigian
> My Thoughts Curating at Composer's Voice by Joseph Bohigian
> POSTCARD: The Rats in the Walls
Vox Novus Calendar
> Fifteen Minutes of Fame at New Music for Double Reeds
OPPORTUNITIES
> Composer Opportunites on Music Avatar
> Composer's Site - new opportunities
> Composer's Site - expiring opportunities

The Rats in the Walls

 The Rats in the Walls
<http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/issue/postcard/14-08-01-The_Rats_in_the_Walls
.jpg>

When Howard Lovecraft's short story, "The Rats in the Walls," was published
in 1923, it was only a modest success. However, its gothic horror seemed
perfectly suited to the operatic arena, so plans were made to produce it the
following year, which, in Chinese astrology, was indeed "the year of the
Rat." More than two thousand professional rat singers were hired, and soon
the stage and wings of London's Royal Opera House were crawling with human
vermin. Determined to stay in character, they promptly spread plague
throughout the city while eating the producer and rehearsal pianist. Finding
the walls in which they were supposed to lurk during the opera too
confining, they commandeered all of Covent Garden, where, it's rumored,
their progeny can still be found today.

 <http://www.davidgunn.org> David Gunn

 <http://www.davidgunn.org> David Gunn
www.DavidGunn.org

 The West Porch Beech Tree Concert Series
<http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/img/14-08-01-Westbury_Gardens.jpg>

The West Porch Beech Tree Concert Series
by Joseph Bohigian

The West Porch Beech Tree Concert Series features a wide variety of music,
including works by living and dead composers who write in very different
styles, including classical, jazz, and more. The afternoon concerts take
place under a 178 year old beech tree just outside Westbury House at Old
Westbury Gardens on Long Island. Taking place outside, the concerts are
augmented by the beautiful scenery of the surrounding gardens and the sounds
of wind rustling through the trees and birds chirping.

The July 20th West Porch Beech Tree concert featured the Cambiata Flute &
Cello Duo, made up of Pamela Sklar on flute and Suzanne Mueller on cello, as
well as special guest Mark McCarron on guitar. They performed works by two
dead composers, 18th-19th century German composer Franz Danzi and English
singer-songwriter Nick Drake, and the rest living composers.

Featured prominently on the concert was composer Kit Mills, who had three
pieces performed. All three pieces were very different, ranging from an
energetic cello solo to a jazzy flute and cello duo. Also featured, with two
pieces, was composer Douglas DaSilva. The world premiere of his Pico de
Itabarito, performed by the whole trio, was full of angular lines, extended
guitar techniques, and odd harmonies.

 Pamela Sklar <http://www.voxnovus.com/member/pic/Pamela_Sklar.jpg>

In addition to performing, flutist Pamela Sklar acted as composer,
presenting two of her own compositions. Her solo flute piece Native Dream is
inspired by Native American music and was performed with great energy. Also
on the concert was a performance of Pat Metheny's Better Days Ahead. The
Metheny work was a refreshing contrast to the preceding pieces.

The diversity of programming was in a way the best and worst parts of the
concert. Most people probably found something that they liked in the concert
but did not like everything. In addition, since the performance took place
outside in an open space, the sound quality of the performances was quite
dry, but the music that was performed did fit the setting well. Most of the
music was very simple and relaxing, which matched the serene setting of Old
Westbury Gardens.

You can find out more about the West Porch Beech Tree Concert Series at the
Old Westbury Gardens website:
https://www.oldwestburygardens.org/se_beech_tree_concerts_2014.htm

 <http://http://josephbohigian.wix.com/composer> Joseph Bohigian

 <http://josephbohigian.wix.com/composer> Joseph Bohigian
http://josephbohigian.wix.com/composer
Joseph Bohigian is a composer from Fresno, California and is interning for
Vox Novus. He will be sharing his experiences on the New York New Music
scene.

 Joey_Bohigian
<http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/img/14-08-01-Joey_Bohigian_01.jpg>

My Thoughts Curating at Composer's Voice
by Joseph Bohigian

Curating a Composer's Voice concert was an exhilarating experience. The
concert, which took place last Sunday, July 27, lasted only an hour, but it
felt much shorter due to my role as curator, composer and performer. These
three roles kept me occupied with moving chairs, talking to audience
members, introducing the concert, opening and closing the piano lid,
performing, and listening to the other pieces.

 oey_Bohigian
<http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/img/14-08-01-Joey_Bohigian_02.jpg>

Before the concert, a few people asked me if I was nervous and I have to
say, I wasn't until somewhere toward the end of the performance when, after
running through my last piece in my head, I convinced myself that I had
completely forgotten how to play one of my Short Pieces for Piano. Before
the penultimate piece, I hurried over to grab my music from a nearby table
and franticly air-pianoed my way through my Short Pieces. Luckily, I had
not, in fact, forgotten how to play the music I myself wrote and had been
practicing for months (who knew?) and proceeded to listen to the rest of
Joshua Marquez' Flare for solo oboe.

Overall, I think the concert was a great success. The audience was very
receptive and the performers got many compliments. All of the performers and
composers were very professional and easy to work with which made the
concert a joy to put together and listen to.

 After Concert at The Pony
<http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/img/14-08-01-The_Pony.jpg>

After the concert, I was joined at The Pony Bar by my family, composers,
performers, and audience members. Most of us ended up staying for upwards of
five hours drinking, eating, and talking which was a nice way to relax after
the performance. I very much enjoyed curating this concert for Composer's
Voice and look forward to doing more in the future.

You can find more as well as see and hear some of the performances at the
following link: www.composersvoice.com/media/

 <http://http://josephbohigian.wix.com/composer> Joseph Bohigian

 <http://josephbohigian.wix.com/composer> Joseph Bohigian
http://josephbohigian.wix.com/composer
Joseph Bohigian is a composer from Fresno, California and is interning for
Vox Novus. He will be sharing his experiences on the New York New Music
scene.

Upcoming Performances

 Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame <http://www.NM421.com/img/14-08-01-FMOF_poster.jpg>

Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame with Robert Botti

Fifteen Minutes of Fame: New York City with Robert Botti will be peformed at
New Music for Double Reeds in collaboration with Composer collective Circles
and Lines as well as the International Double Reed Society. The performance
will happen downstairs at SubCulture, 45 Bleecker St. on Wednesday August
6th, 2014 at 6:30 PM

 Oboist Robert Botti s <http://www.voxnovus.com/member/pic/Robert_Botti.jpg>

Oboist Robert Botti has performed throughout North America, South America,
Europe, and Asia as an orchestral player, chamber musician, and soloist. A
native of New York, he studied with Ronald Roseman and Harold Gomberg at the
Juilliard School. Mr. Botti joined the New York Philharmonic as Second Oboe
in 1992 after previously serving as Principal Oboe of the New York City
Opera Orchestra. His continuing interest in contemporary music and education
has allowed him to work with many young composers throughout his career. He
was Visiting Professor of Oboe and B.A. Nugent Professor of Performance
Studies at the University of Illinois. He remains on both the Woodwind
Performance and Orchestral Performance faculties at the Manhattan School of
Music as well as on the faculty of New York University.

Composers selected for this Fifteen Minutes of Fame include: David
Avshalomov, Robert Botti, Douglas DaSilva, David Grossman, Robert Magnuson,
David Mastikosa, Gary Powell Nash, Norberto Oldrini, Nicholas O'Neill,
Naftali Schindler, Jose Jesus de Azevedo Souza, Samuel Stokes, Luca
Vanneschi, Jean-Pierre Vial, Blair Whittington

You cna find more at
http://www.Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame.com/featuring/Robert_Botti

Composer collective Circles and Lines teams up with the International Double
Reed Society for an evening of music featuring virtuosi of the double reed
world. C + L celebrates five years of concerts with commissions for The New
York Philharmonic's Rob Botti, ICE's Rebekah Heller, contemporary star
soloist Jacqueline LeClaire, Signal's Brad Balliett, Alarm Will Sound's Gina
Cuffari and Christa Robinson, and Talea's Adrian Morejon at SubCulture New
Music Venue and underground bar. The program features five world premieres
of pieces by C + L composers Angelica Negron, Conrad Winslow, Noam Faingold,
Dylan Glatthorn and Eric Lemmon, fifteen minute-long world premieres written
for Robert Botti, as well as works by Marcos Balter, Edgar Guzman, and Ernst
Krenek. The evening will present two sets of the composers' pieces, plus a
third, late 'open' set featuring improvisations, works for electronics and
other works programmed by the performers.

Circles and Lines is a young composers consortium providing an eclectic and
accessible sample of compositional styles in contemporary classical music.
Its members include Angelica Negron, Conrad Winslow, Noam Faingold, Eric
Lemmon and Dylan Glatthorn.

Circles and Lines has been reviewed by The New York Times, calling the group
"the mirror image of most new-music groups" and lauding its members'
compositions as, "gracefully chromatic," "quirky," "thorny," and "assured."
The group has also been featured on Q2's (Radio Station WNYC's contemporary
programming) Live Concerts series. They wrote,

"Though the illustrious composers of Circles and Lines possess a range of
experiences - from composing music for toys and unconventional instruments
to founding the music criticism and review site OpenSourceMusic to being
composer-in-residence at Tulsa's Midtown School - they have all managed to
find common ground right here in New York City. Featuring pieces which
involve everything from electronics to prepared piano to banjo to chamber
orchestra, this (L)PR concert exemplifies Circles & Lines' colorful
backgrounds and mission to program a performance that runs the gamut of
today's emerging composers."

Though the group has won accolades for their work together, as individuals
the composers have won prestigious awards and grants and fellowships from
the American Music Center, the The Jack Kent Cooke Foundation, ASCAP's
Morton Gould Award, Salzburg Seminar, and NYU's Creative Collaboration
Grant, commissions from MATA, the Albany Symphony and the Jerome Fund.
Concerts of works by the collective have taken place at New York City venues
like Le Poisson Rouge, Vaudeville Park gallery, Tenri Cultural Institute and
Greenwich House.

NYU Steinhardt is proud to host the 43rd annual International Double Reed
Society conference! Come explore the NYU campus, centered in the heart of
Manhattan's West Village with convenient access to some of New York City's
most famous landmarks. Take the opportunity to discover the sights and
sounds of the Big Apple's iconic ensembles including the Orchestra of Saint
Luke's and the West Point Band. You won't want to miss the musical
experience of IDRS 2014!

Fifteen Minutes of Fame: New York City with Robert Botti
Wednesday August 6th, 2014 - 6:30 PM
SubCulture
45 Bleecker St. - Downstairs.
New York City

Set I (Door at 6:00, Concert at 6:30):
Sonatina by Ernst Krenek
All This Talk of Saving Souls by Eric Lemmon
Fifteen Minutes of Fame for Vox Novus
Breaking the Surface by Noam Faingold
Unearth by Dylan Glatthorn
Tone Riddles by Conrad Winslow
Stereogram by Angelica Negron

Set II (Door at 8:00, Concert at 8:30):
8?? by Edgar Guzman
All This Talk of Saving Souls by Eric Lemmon
and also a fountain... by Marcos Balter
Tone Riddles by Conrad Winslow
Three Caprices by Brad Balliett
Unearth by Dylan Glatthorn
Breaking the Surface By Noam Faingold
Stereogram by Angelica Negron

Set III (Door at 10:00, Concert at 10:30):
Following by Dai Fujikura for solo bassoon (world premiere)
Qualia II by Marcelo Toledo for bassoon and tape
On speaking a hundred names by Nathan Davis for bassoon and live processing
Press Release by David Lang
New Work by Sunny Knable for bassoon/voice
Three Caprices (solo bassoon) - written and performed by Brad Balliett
Matt Sullivan/Paul McCandless - oboe improv

Calendar

 <http://www.voxnovus.com/calendar> Calendar of Vox Novus Events

Opportunities on Music Avatar

 <http://www.MusicAvatar.org>
Opportunities

Music Avatar is a great new way to upload works for composer opportunities
hassle free! You will be able to submit, update, and modify your submission
all the way up to the deadline date of the opportunity. www.MusicAvatar.org

 <http://www.composerssite.com/new_opp> Composer's Site

Click Here for New Opportunities <http://www.composerssite.com/new_opp>

 <http://www.composerssite.com/expiring_opp> Composer's Site