[Voxnovus] NM421> March 23, 2014 - Special Update - Corrections - Amendments - Circuit Bridges -Vision of Sound

Robert Voisey (Vox Novus) RobVoisey at VoxNovus.com
Sun Mar 23 19:58:58 EDT 2014

Can't view this email properly? Click here for the online version
<http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/issue/14-03-21.htm>

Please forgive the second announcement correcting and ammending the
Newsletter.

I had to make a couple of corrections on the upcoming Composer's Voice
concert featuring New York Women Composers coming up this Sunday.

I also forgot to mention a special second Composer's Voice the day before on
Saturday featuring Vision of Sound, a new music dance ensemble.

And with all the excitement I can't believe I forgot to mention Circuit
Bridges this Thursday!
Where is my head?! This will be the inaugural concert of a new
electroacoustic series at Gallery MC in New York City!

As you can see I had to make an update.

Hope to see you at one of these 3 concerts this week!

-Rob Voisey

<http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421> New Music for the 21st Century

< <http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/issue/14-03-14.htm> March 21, 2013
<http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/issue/14-03-28.htm> >

VOX NOVUS NEWSLETTER - New Music for the 21st Century

> POSTCARD: Meet the Composer

PERFORMANCES

> Circuit Bridges - a new concert series by Vox Novus - March 27

> Composer's Voice features Vision of Sound - March 29

> Composer's Voice features New York Women Composers - March 30

> Fifteen Minutes of Fame at the Brand Library

Vox Novus Calendar
ANNOUNCEMENTS

> RESULTS: 60x60 Surround Sound Mix

OPPORTUNITIES

> Fifteen Minutes of Fame - Homage to Bach with Maksim Velichkin

> Composer's Site - new opportunities

> Composer's Site - expiring opportunities

Meet The Composer

Meet The Composer
<http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/issue/postcard/14-03-21-Meet_the_Composer.jpg

Wilma's Meet The Composer grant stipulated that she be on hand at the
premiere of her commissioned piece, "The Sorcerer's Assistant," to discuss
it with the audience. But a lifetime spent in a coven in which the only
social activities came from Grimorium Verum rituals had limited development
of her people skills. Which may be why instead of "interacting" with the
attendees, she turned them all into toads.

<http://www.davidgunn.org> David Gunn

<http://www.davidgunn.org> David Gunn
www.DavidGunn.org

Upcoming Performances

Circuit Bridges <http://www.voxnovus.com/img/Circuit_Bridges.gif>

Inaugural Circuit Bridges performance

Thursday, March 27th, 2014 at 8:00 PM

This Thursday, Marach 27th Vox Novus will present its inaugural concert of
its new series Circuit Bridges in New York City at Gallery MC.

Circuit Bridges is an electroacoustic series providing audiences with half a
concert of performance of local composers and musicians and the other half
with eletroacoustic works from visiting elctroacoustic composers and sound
artists.

The mission is to establish a venue where audiences can find the vast wealth
of electronic music being created by today's electronic composers and sound
artists. Circuit Bridges brings the electroacoustic community closer by
establishing cooperative performances presenting the work of electroacoustic
music across the globe.

Composers being featured in this first Circuti Bridges concert are: Andreja
Andric, Gary DiBenedetto, Allen Fogelsanger, Aaron Fryklund, Jiafeng Gao,
Charles Halka, Min Eui Hong, Hubert S Howe, Briggan Krauss, Magdalena Kress,
Eric Lyon, David Morneau, Alon A Nechushtan, Maggi Payne, Matthew Peterson,
David Jason Snow, and Gonzalo Varela.

Circuit Bridges inaugural concert
Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 8:00PM
Gallery MC
www.gallerymc.org/
549 West 52nd Street
New York, NY 10019
ADMISSION $10

Vision of Sound
<http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/img/14-03-21-Vision_of_Sound_Poster.jpg>

Composer <http://www.voxnovus.com/composersvoice/program/14-03-29.htm> 's
Voice presents Vision of Sound

Sunday, March 29th, 2014 at 4:00 PM

The Vision of Sound concert is a collaboration between composers,
choreographers, dancers, and musicians to produce new choreographic works
with live music written by composers primarily within the last five years.
The pieces on the concerts all reflect the most current aesthetic
sensitivities of representative composers and choreographers. The dancers
and musicians are sincerely committed to the promotion and performance of
new works by living composers and choreographers.

Composer's Voice presents Sound of Vision
Sunday, Sunday, March 29, 2014 - 4:00PM
Jan Hus Church
351 East 74th Street
New York, New York FREE ADMISSION

Composer's Voice
<http://www.voxnovus.com/img/Composers_Voice_logo_2012.jpg> New York Women
Composers <http://www.voxnovus.com/img/New_York_Women_Composers_logo.jpg>

Composer <http://www.voxnovus.com/composersvoice/program/14-03-30.htm> 's
Voice presents New York Women Composers

Sunday, March 30th, 2014 at 1:00 PM

Sunday, March 30th, 2014 at 1:00 PM at Jan Hus Church in New York City,
Composer's Voice will present New York Women Composers curated by Nailah
Nombeko. This is the first of two concerts happening for this collaboration
concert between Vox Novus and New York Women Composers.

March 30th' concert at Jan Hus will feature the works of Julie Mandel, Beth
Anderson, Nailah Nombeko, Alla Pavlova, Elisenda Fabregas, Hilary Tann and
Mary Ann Joyce Walter. With performances by : Sookkyung Cho, piano; Adrianna
Mateo, violin; Stanichka Dimitrova, violin; Adrienne Patino, soprano; Yumi
Suehiro, piano; Marcia Eckert, piano; Dorothy Duncan, clarinet; Shannon
Roberts, soprano; Luda Lee, piano

Fifteen Minutes of Fame
<http://www.voxnovus.com/img/Fifteen_Minutes_of_Fame_logo_new.jpg> Shannon
Roberts <http://www.voxnovus.com/member/pic/Shannon_Roberts.jpg> Yumi
Suehiro <http://www.voxnovus.com/member/pic/Yumi_Suehiro_01.jpg>

Soprano Shannon Roberts holds dual US and Irish citizenship, dividing her
time between New York City and Europe. She finds it an important and
rewarding endeavor to collaborate with living composers, and has premiered
works by several, including award winning Juilliard composer Bruce Lazarus
and most recently Nailah Nombeko's William Blake Songs. Ms. Roberts is a
multiple award winner receiving prizes, grants, and or scholarships from:
The Wagner Society of New York, the Liederkranz Foundation, and the Lee
Schaenen Foundation, among others.

Born in Osaka, Japan, pianist Yumi Suehiro started piano at age 6, and
started marimba a year later. Ms. Suehiro has won numerous national and
international competitions, including the top prize at the KOBE
International Competition in Japan as the youngest winner. In 2007 and 2008,
she was invited to perform her debut at the Carnegie Weill recital hall as a
winner of AMTL audition, and in following year, she was featured as a guest
marimba player in Latin percussionist, Victor Rendon's recoding "Fiesta
Percussiva". Ms. Suehiro won the second prize at Dora Zaslavsky Koch piano
concerto competition in Manhattan School of Music where she currently earned
Master of Music under the tutelage of Mr. Zenon Fishbein and Dr. Peter
Vinograde.

"...the 15 Minutes of Fame project of Vox Novus is a godsend. " - NY Music
Culture Examiner Fifteen Minutes of Fame is 15 one-minute acoustic works by
different composers. Fifteen Minutes of Fame gives a variety of new music by
living composers to audiences hungry to hear what is being created in
today's music scene.

The 15 composers being presented in this Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame are: Scott
Brickman, Matthew Van Dongen, Sheila Forrester, Jay Anthony Gach, Burton
Goldstein, Mary Ann Joyce-Walter, Laszlo Kekszakallu, Geoffrey Kiddle, Tyler
Kline, D.H. Lawrence, Kevin Scott, Jose Jesus de Azevedo Souza, Dale
Trumbore, Blair Whittington, and Christopher M. Wicks

New York Women Composers
<http://www.voxnovus.com/img/New_York_Women_Composers_logo.jpg>

THE MISSION OF NEW YORK WOMEN COMPOSERS, INC. is to create performing,
recording, networking, and mentoring opportunities for its members, and to
work for the betterment of all women concert-music composers. We believe
that continually focusing attention on music by women composers will hasten
its full inclusion in the concert repertoire.

One of the premier showcases for emerging and established composers,
Composer's Voice Concert Series is an opportunity for contemporary composers
and musicians to express their musical aesthetic and personal "voice."
Composer's Voice has presented over 100 concerts in New York City and scores
of concert performances throughout the world. "[Vox Novus offers] the
presentation of serious works by established and emerging composers. Those
voices should be heard, and they can even be reheard on the Vox Novus
website (http://www.VoxNovus.com)..." - New Music Connoisseur

Composer's Voice & New York Women Composers concert
Sunday, Sunday, March 30, 2014 - 1:00PM
Jan Hus Church
351 East 74th Street
New York, New York FREE ADMISSION

Calendar

<http://www.voxnovus.com/calendar> Calendar of Vox Novus Events
60x60 Surround Sound Mix <http://www.voxnovus.com/img/60x60_2012_logo.jpg>

Announcing results for
60x60 Surround Sound Mix

In 2013, 60x60 called for 60 works one-minute in length for 5.1 audio
playback. 60x60 is a one-hour-long show made by sequencing 60 pre-recorded
pieces by 60 different composers, each piece a minute in length or shorter.
These short one-minute multichannel works or "signature pieces" were created
specifically for this 60x60 Surround Sound Mix. This mix pays special
attention to the spatial aspects of the compositions

The 60x60 Surround Sound Mix is a unique collaboration with Harvestworks and
Vox Novus to create a 5.1 surround sound mix which will be premiered at
Harvestworks multichannel TEAMLab listening room on Friday, May 16, 2014 at
7:00pm

Every one-minute piece selected will be played continuously without pause.
Each of the 60 pieces selected will begin precisely at the beginning of the
minute, this will mark the end of one piece and the beginning of another.
Works selected that are less than 60 seconds long will be "padded" with
silence either before, after, or surrounding the composition.

"The idea of commissioning sixty pieces each a minute long has elements of
both ingenuity combined with madness: ... A minute can be ample time to
express a whole gamut of imaginative sounds, or it can be a constraint which
forces an artist to isolate what is the most important element of a work.
The point of the project is that it enables an audience to take in and enjoy
a cross section of different approaches to new music within a reasonable
duration. " - Malcolm Miller - Music and Vision

The 60 composers included in the 60x60 Surround Sound Mix are:

Jeff Anderson, Daniel Bartos, Simon Belshaw, Jason Bolte, Mike Boyd, Andrei
Branea, Arnold Brooks, Steve Bull, Jeremy Van Buskirk, Alejandro Casales,
Ian Corbett, Douglas DaSilva, Jamez Dean, Blake Degraw, Rob Dietz, Lorenz
Erdmann, Bit.Seq~ (Fred Feeney), Josh Feldman, John Ferguson, Matt Fidler,
Tim Fodness, Enrico Francioni, Richard Garrett, Guiseppe Gavazza, Nate
Goossen, Scott Gresham-Lancaster, Jenn Grossman, Samuel Hertz, Jason
Hoffman, judsoN, Vivek Karun, John Kehoe, Andrew Levine, Jorg Lindenmaier,
Buddy Lorentz, Nicolas Marty, Mike McFerron, Claudi Meneghin, Tiago Morais,
Dafna Naphtali, Daniel Neumann, Serban Nichifor, Hull Pacific, Maggi Payne,
Chris Peck, Samuel Pellman, Patrick Pham, Julien Poidevin, Kevin Ramsay,
Cody Ranaldo, Steve Reinthal, Lorin Roser, Josh Simmons, Mary Simoni, David
Jason Snow, J Sohn, Yuri Spitsyn, Ariane St.Louis, Hans Tammen, Jamie Todd,
A. P. Vague, Robert Voisey, Jaeseong Wu, and Xo Xinh

60x60 Surround Sound Mix
Friday, May 16, 2014 at 7:00 pm
Harvestworks
TEAMLab listening room
596 Broadway #602
New York City
10012

<http://www.composerssite.com/new_opp> Composer's Site

Click Here for New Opportunities <http://www.composerssite.com/new_opp>

<http://www.composerssite.com/expiring_opp> Composer's Site

Click Here for Expiring Opportunities
<http://www.composerssite.com/expiring_opp>

Vox Novus Projects

<http://www.voxnovus.com> Vox Novus <http://www.60x60.com> 60x60
<http://www.voxnovus.com/composersvoice/> Composer's Voice
<http://www.voxnovus.com/15_Minutes_of_Fame/> Fifteen Minutes of Fame
<http://www.voxnovus.com/resources/American_Composer_Timeline.htm> American
Composer Timeline
<http://www.composerssite.com/> Composer's Site
<http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/> NM421 - New Music for the 21st Century

Brand Library <http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/img/Brand_Library_01.jpg>

<http://www.brandlibrary.org/BrandLibraryRenovation.asp>
Fifteen Minutes of Fame at the Brand Library & Art Center in Glendale,
California

On Sunday April 6, 2014 at 2:00pm the Brand Associates will be hosting the
first concert in their 2014 Music Series celebrating the reopening of Brand
Library after a two year renovation. Pianist Mark Robson will be performing
on piano and toy piano with major works by Gerard Schurmann, Vera Ivanova,
Maurice Ravel and Mark Robson.

Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame
<http://www.voxnovus.com/img/Fifteen_Minutes_of_Fame_logo_new.jpg>

The concert will also features a 15 Minutes of Fame segment, 15 new one
minute pieces selected by Mr. Robson from a call for scores which was
administered by Vox Novus (www.voxnovus.com). The theme for the pieces is
the Four Elements: Earth, Air, Fire, Water and the 15 composers selected are
David Bohn (Wisconsin), Silvia Corda (Italy), Bobby DiLisle (Michigan),
Yvonne Freckmann (Texas), Jay Anthony Gach (New York), Burton Goldstein
(California), Ben Hase (New York), Matthew Hetz (California), Steve Lansford
(North Carolina), Alan Shockley (California), Bob Siebert (New Jersey),
James Soe Nyun (California), Jose Jesus de Azevedo Souza (Portugal), David
Nelson Tomasacci (Ohio) and Adam Zahller (Nebraska).

For more on Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame with Mark Robson can be found
here:http://pianospheres.org/?page_id=57

Brand Library <http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/img/Brand_Library_02.jpg>

The concert will be in the Brand Library Recital Hall. Admission is free and
a reception will follow the concert. For more information visit the Brand
Library web site:
http://www.brandlibrary.org/brand_music_events.asp
or the Brand Library Facebook page <https://www.facebook.com/brandlibrary> .

This concert is generously sponsored by the Brand Associates. Their mission
is to support and promote the Brand Library & Art Center as an arts,
cultural, educational, and historic resource for the region For more
information please visit http://www.associatesofbrand.org.

Brand Library <http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/img/Brand_Library_03.jpg>

Brand Library will reopen on March 27, 2014 after a two year renovation.
Brand Library is located in northwestern Glendale at 1601 W. Mountain
Street. Hours are Tuesday and Thursday, 12-8 pm; Wednesday, 12-6 pm; and
Friday and Saturday, 10-5 pm. Admission to galleries and reception is free
and open to the public. There is ample free parking. Call 818-548-2051 for
additional information.

For more information on Mark Robson http://pianospheres.org/?page_id=57

For more information on Maksim Velichkin <http://www.maksimvelichkin.com>
http://www.maksimvelichkin.com

Opportunities

Fifteen Minutes of Fame
<http://www.voxnovus.com/img/Fifteen_Minutes_of_Fame_logo.jpg>
<http://www.voxnovus.com/member/pic/Maksim_Velichkin.jpg>

Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame: Homage to Bach with Maksim Velichkin

Deadline: April 19, 2014

Vox Novus is calling for one-minute pieces composed for
Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame: Homage to Bach is to be premiered by Maksim
Velichkin on the Music at Mimoda series in Los Angeles. The one-minute works
for this call are to be written for solo cello. The theme of this Fifteen
Minutes of Fame is an Homage to Bach; works submitted should be based on,
developed from, and otherwise related to the pitches BACH. This shall serve
as a uniting factor for all the compositions. The pieces should employ
traditional means of extracting sound from the cello.

Maksim Velichkin has been active as a solo performer, chamber and orchestra
musician, both locally and throughout the world. Mr.Velichkin has appeared
as a soloist with Uzbekistan National Symphony, Duquesne Contemporary
Ensemble, American Youth Symphony, as well as Torrance, Westchester,
Southeast and Bellflower orchestras. He has toured extensively to Europe,
Asia, North and South America and Australia with the prestigious Verbier
Chamber and Verbier Festival Symphony Orchestras.

<http://www.voxnovus.com/15_Minutes_of_Fame/calls/#14-04-19> Click here for
more details

Tweets by @VoxNovus <https://twitter.com/VoxNovus>

Vox Novus Projects