[Voxnovus] NM421> September 12, 2014 - Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame: Maksim Velichkin - Composer's Voice / Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame: Calvin Falwell & Robert McCormick - RESULTS: Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame with Duo Anova & Fresno State New Music Ensemble

Robert Voisey (Vox Novus) RobVoisey at VoxNovus.com
Fri Sep 12 10:04:49 EDT 2014

Can't view this email properly? Click here for the online version
<http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/issue/14-09-12.htm>
	 <http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421> New Music for the 21st Century

< <http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/issue/14-09-05.htm> 	 September 12, 2014
<http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/issue/14-09-19.htm> >

VOX NOVUS NEWSLETTER - New Music for the 21st Century
> POSTCARD:Don't pooh-pooh the juju
Vox Novus Calendar
> Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame: Homage to BACH II, Maksim Velichkin
> Composer's Voice with curator Randal Eng
> Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame: Calvin Falwell, bass clarinet & Robert McCormick,
drum set
ANNOUNCEMENTS
> RESULTS: Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame with Duo Anova
> RESULTS: Fresno State New Music Ensemble: Solo Percussion
OPPORTUNITIES
> Composer Opportunites on Music Avatar
> Composer's Site - new opportunities
> Composer's Site - expiring opportunities

Don't pooh-pooh the juju

 Don't pooh-pooh the juju
<http://www.voxnovus.com/NM421/issue/postcard/14-09-12-Dont_pooh-pooh_the_ju
ju.jpg>

The Port-au-Prince Drum and Voodoo Bugle Corps won every competition it ever
entered. No matter its musicians had only the most rudimentary of
performance skills, every judge knew that the juju its percussionists
employed was not to be pooh-poohed.

 <http://www.davidgunn.org> David Gunn

 <http://www.davidgunn.org> David Gunn
www.DavidGunn.org

Upcoming Performances

 Maksim Velichki <http://www.voxnovus.com/member/pic/Maksim_Velichkin.jpg>
Fifteen-Minutes of Fame
<http://www.voxnovus.com/img/Fifteen_Minutes_of_Fame_logo_new.jpg>

Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame:
Homage to BACH II with cellist Maksim Velichkin

Saturday, September 13th at 4:00pm

Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame: Homage to BACH II-Maksim Velichkin, cello

Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame: Homage to BACH II with cellist Maksim Velichkin is
15 one-minute works by 15 composers: Martha Bishop, Jim Dalton, Bobby
DeLisle, Michelle M. Dewhirst, Rolando Gori, Vera Ivanova, Charles Knox,
Arkady Luxemburg, David Meckler, Vasilis Mouskouris, Hinse Mutter, Nathan
Nau, Akmal Parwez, Fabio Monzu Rosselli, and Phil Taylor

The theme of this Fifteen Minutes of Fame, an Homage to Bach; are works be
based on, developed from, and otherwise related to the pitches BACH. Serving
as a uniting factor for all 15 compositions.

Maksim Velichkin is an accomplished cellist, pianist, and harpsichordist,
and has worked with conductors James Levine, Kurt Masur and Charles Dutoit.
His performance and recording career includes credits with Stevie Wonder,
Chick Corea, Billy Childs, Burt Bacharach, Bobby McFerrin and many others!
Maksim performs and tours frequently with the Verbier Chamber Orchestra
throughout North and South America, Europe, Asia, and Australia.

This concert will include pieces from G.N. Gianopoulos, Elliott Goldkind,
H.W. Henze, J. S Bach.

A reception will be held following the concert to allow an opportunity to
meet the artist.

Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame: Homage to BACH II with cellist Maksim Velichkin
Saturday, September 13th at 4:00pm Glendale City Church 610 E California Ave
Glendale, California 91206 Freewill donations are received at the door

 Composer's Voice
<http://www.voxnovus.com/img/Composers_Voice_logo_2012.jpg>

Composer's Voice

Sunday, September 14th, 2014 at 1:00 PM

 Randall Eng <http://www.voxnovus.com/composer/pic/Randall_Eng.jpg>

This Sunday Composer's Voice, Guest Curator Randall Eng's music mines the
territory between opera, music-theatre, and jazz. His operas Henry's Wife
and Florida have been presented at Lyric Opera Cleveland, New York City
Opera's VOX Festival, Manhattan School of Music, American Opera Projects,
Center for Contemporary Opera, and the Public Theater's "New Work Now!"
Festival. Other compositions include works for Albany Symphony Orchestra's
Dogs of Desire, the Edinburgh Fringe Festival, Mirror Visions Ensemble, and
Luna Stage Theatre. Grants, prizes, and residencies: American Music Center,
American Composers Forum, Civitella Ranieri Foundation, Montalvo Arts
Center, Hermitage Artists Retreat, Ucross Foundation, Bang on a Can Summer
Institute, Virginia Arts Festival. Randall is a graduate of Harvard
University, Cambridge University, and New York University's Graduate Musical
Theatre Writing Program, where he now teaches.

The concert will resent "New Old Songs" with composer perfromer Polly Pen;
Polly Pen, composer, piano, voice "Bread and Oranges" a song from JOAN OF
ARC Music by Mel Marvin Libretto by Laura Harrington Sung by Andrew
Samonsky, accompanied by Mel Marvin "Lada" an aria from BUWALSKY: A ROAD
OPERA Music by Mel Marvin Libretto by Jonathan Levi Sung and accompanied by
Mel Marvin "Transformations for C.H." by composer Fred Carl performed by
cellist Anne Pollack. Excerpt from "Castor & Pollux in Pursuit" Music by
Randall Eng, Libretto by Donna DiNovelli Sung by Hai-Ting Chinn (Helen,
Star), Kathryn Guthrie (Clytemnaestra, Leda, Star), Alex Gemignani (Pollux,
Cygnus), Arlo Hill (Castor, Star)and accompanied by Randall Eng

Soprano Kathryn Guthrie's sharp-witted interpretations of contemporary works
are evenly matched by her finesse in traditional classical repertoire. Her
2012 New York City Opera debut in Rufus Wainwright's Prima Donna "outshone
any other single moment on stage" (Huffington Post).

Arlo Hill, a 2014 winner of the Lotte Lenya Competition, appears in the
Broadway cast of The Phantom of the Opera and in Jacques Brel Returns! at
the Triad.

Polly Pen writes book, music and lyrics. She is an Obie Award winner for the
score of Bed and Sofa, (NYC premiere Vineyard Theatre / London premiere
Finborough Theatre).

Cellist Anne Pollack has released 2 CD's as cellist/flutist and
composer/producer; received numerous performance and composition grants (NEA
and Meet-the-Composer), and been at the head of various ensembles (Jazz,
Classical, and original music) that have kept her busy performing
internationally.

Tenor Andrew Samonsky played Lt. Joseph Cable in Lincoln Center's Tony
Award-winning production of Rogers and Hammerstein's South Pacific, where he
was also seen on the Live from Lincoln Center PBS broadcast. This year, he
received a Drama Desk nomination for the role of Frank Russell in Michael
John LaChiusa's Queen of the Mist Off-Broadway.

This Composer's Voice will also feature Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame with
Calvin Falwell & Robert McCormic will feature fifteen one-minute works by
fifteen composers. The purpose of Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame is to promote a
great variety of contemporary music to audiences hungry to hear what living
composers are writing today.

 Fifteen-Minutes of Fame
<http://www.voxnovus.com/img/Fifteen_Minutes_of_Fame_logo_new.jpg>  Calvin
Falwell <http://www.voxnovus.com/member/pic/Calvin_Falwell.jpg>  Robert
McCormick <http://www.voxnovus.com/member/pic/Robert_McCormick.jpg>

Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame with
Calvin Falwell & Robert McCormick

Sunday, September 14th, 2014 at 1:00 PM

Praised for his "great skill and captivating sound" by Clariperu, American
clarinetist Calvin Falwell enjoys a varied career as an orchestral musician,
soloist and educator. Calvin is a member of the clarinet faculty of the
University of South Florida School of Music and is a member of the Sarasota
Opera Orchestra in Sarasota, FL. During the summer months he can be found
performing with the Ash Lawn Opera Festival in Charlottesville, VA. In
addition to his orchestral positions, Calvin has enjoyed performing as a
soloist in both recital and orchestral settings. A true champion of new
music, Calvin has had the privilege of premiering numerous works for both
clarinet and bass clarinet including works by Todd Goodman, David Thomas,
Max Lifchitz, Suzanne Polak and Joseph Hallman. Solo appearances have
included recitals in South America, China, Europe and the US.

Robert McCormick is currently Professor of Music at the University of South
Florida. He served as principal percussionist/assistant timpanist with the
Florida Orchestra for 20 seasons, and was a core member of the legendary
Harry Partch Ensemble. Robert is often sought after to perform and conduct
in major venues working with such artists as Placido Domingo, Andre Bocelli
and many others. He has authored articles, solos, and percussion texts that
are considered standard literature in the field of percussion. With dozens
of critically acclaimed recordings and reviews in leading journals such as
Gramophone, American Record Guide, Fanfare and The Strad, Robert is
internationally recognized for his performances with the McCormick
Percussion Group and the McCormick Duo flute/percussion ensemble. Robert was
the 2006 recipient of the Florida Music Educator of the Year Award; the 2007
Grand Prize in the Keystone Percussion Composition Award, the 2010 Jerome
Krivanek University Distinguished Teacher Award and received 2012 Global
Music Award

Works selected for this Fifteen Minutes of Fame include:
Rodrigo Baggio, David Bohn, James Bohn, Joseph Bourdeau, Stephen P Brown,
Inna Buganina, Vincent Euliano, Sean Hamilton, Tyler Kline, David Meckler,
Daniel Mihai, Gary Powell Nash, J.J. de Azevedo Souza, Paul Taylor, and Luca
Vanneschi

More information can be found at:
http://www.Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame.com/featuring/Calvin_Falwell_Robert_McCor
mick/

Composer's Voice concert Sunday September 14, 2014 at 1:00 PM Jan Hus Church
351 East 74th Street (between First and Second Avenues) New York, New York
10021 FREE ADMISSION

Calendar

 <http://www.voxnovus.com/calendar> Calendar of Vox Novus Events
 Fifteen Minutes of Fame
<http://www.voxnovus.com/15_Minutes_of_Fame/images/Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame_D
uo_Anova.jpg>   <http://www.voxnovus.com/member/pic/Duo_Anova.jpg>

Announcing results for
Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame with Duo Anova

Vox Novus called for one-minute pieces for Duo Anova for guitar and cello.

An award winning ensemble, Duo Anova is a cello and guitar duo based in New
York City. Members Susan Mandel (cello) and Kenji Haba (guitar) met in 2012
and immediately bonded over their passion for contemporary music and their
animated sense of humor. The rare instrumentation offers an exceptional
experience; it opens up a listener's mind to a new dimension of textures and
sounds unique to cello and guitar.

Duo Anova won honorable mention award in 2014 SMIA chamber music
competition. It made its debut at prestigious Carnegie Hall presented by
Composer's Voice in 2014, and praised as "striking compatibility" by New
Music for 21st Century. It has also performed at many other venues,
including Bohemian National Hall, Composer's Voice 100th Gala concert, 662
Center concert series, Saint Peter's Church, and etc. Duo Anova also
collaborates with artists to explore the possibility of performing arts with
visual arts. In 2013, Duo Anova performed in the magnificent installation
art of Hisami Taniguchi at Resobox, contemporary art museum, in New York.

Duo Anova is committed to expanding its repertoire for this unique
combination and performing with virtuosity and intensity. It worked with
over 20 composers, including award winning composers and emerging composers,
such as Goya Masatora, Michael Kropf, Andrew Middleton, Castilla-Avila, Inna
Buganina. In 2014, it will participate in Vox Novus's Fifteen Minutes of
Fame series, featuring world premieres of fifteen one-minute pieces written
especially for the group.

  <http://www.voxnovus.com/member/pic/Susan_Davita_Mandel.jpg>

Cellist Susan D. Mandel is a native of New York. In her classical training,
she has studied with cellists Marion Feldman and Dr. Frederick Zlotkin. She
has attended Domaine Forget and Bowdoin International Music Festivals where
she studied with cellists Thomas Wiebe, Carol Sirvois, Matt Haimovitz, and
David Ying. Susan, with her piano trio, was selected to perform the American
debut of Robert Delanoff's Trio for Clarinet, Cello and Piano at Weill
Recital Hall within Carnegie Hall as finalists of the AMTL Young Musicians
concert series.

  <http://www.voxnovus.com/member/pic/Kenji_Haba.jpg>

Guitarist Kenji Haba is known for his interpretation of Toru Takemitsu, his
performances having been described as an "ideal match for Takemitsu's music"
by Fanfare. He is also an active performer of contemporary music, with over
20 pieces of music written for and premiered by him. He has performed as a
solo and chamber musician throughout the States, including in New York, New
Jersey, Tennessee, Nevada, Kentucky, Georgia as well as in Japan. In 2011,
Kenji Haba was appointed as featured artist at the 3rd Annual Special Guitar
Concert, in New York City, sponsored by Vox Novus.

Works selected for this Fifteen Minutes of Fame include:
Magnetic Refraction by Joe L. Alexander,
Convergences by Rodrigo Baggio,
Souvenir de Maibo by David Bohn,
An t-Eilean Molach by Erik Branch,
We'll Cross That Bridge Together by Fermino Gomes,
Reverie by Nathan R. Johnson,
Sour Soul by Emil Khoury,
Tastar de Corde by Ted Mann,
A Short Daydream in E minor by Andrew Middleton,
Toccatina by Uri Netanel,
Bulldozer by Thomas Smith,
Serenata a la luz de Fobos y Deimos by Juan Maria Solare,
Cathexix by Samuel Stokes,
Pizzifunky by Ananda Sukarlan, and
In My Dream by Blair Whittington

 <http://www.voxnovus.com/15_Minutes_of_Fame/featuring/Duo_Anova/> You can
find more information here
http://www.voxnovus.com/15_Minutes_of_Fame/featuring/Duo_Anova/

  <http://www.voxnovus.com/composer/pic/Joseph_Bohigian_01.jpg>

Announcing results for
Fresno State New Music Ensemble
Call for Scores for Solo Mallet Percussion

The Fresno State New Music Ensemble called for short pieces for solo mallet
percussion to be performed by Joseph Bohigian in the ensemble's Fall Concert
on October 31, 2014 8:00 PM at CSU Fresno in Fresno, California.

The piece selected is Daniel Adams' "Five Marimba Miniatures".

Daniel Adams is a Professor of Music at Texas Southern University in
Houston. Adams holds a Doctor of Musical Arts (1985) from the University of
Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, a Master of Music from the University of Miami
(1981) and a Bachelor of Music from Louisiana State University (1978). Adams
is the immediate past-President of the South Central Chapter of the College
Music Society. He is the composer of numerous published musical compositions
and the author of several articles and reviews on various topics related to
Twentieth Century percussion music, musical pedagogy, and the music of
Texas. His book entitled The Solo Snare Drum was published in 2000. His
music is recorded on Capstone Records, Ravello Records, and Summit Records

Joseph Bohigian is a composer and performer living in Fresno, California.
His works have been performed in Europe, Armenia, and across the US,
including performances at the Composer's Voice Concert Series in New York
City, the SCI Region V Conference in Dubuque, Iowa, the Universidade Nova de
Lisboa in Lisbon, Portugal, and the AGBU Musical Armenia Program in Yerevan,
Armenia. Bohigian is currently an honors student attending California State
University Fresno, where he studies with Kenneth Froelich and Benjamin
Boone. He has also studied with Artur Avanesov in Yerevan, Armenia and, in
2014, held an internship with Vox Novus in New York City where he curated a
concert for the Composer's Voice Concert Series. In addition to composing,
Bohigian is an active percussionist and pianist, having performed in New
York City, Yerevan, and across California.

Opportunities on Music Avatar

 <http://www.MusicAvatar.org>
Opportunities

Music Avatar is a great new way to upload works for composer opportunities
hassle free! You will be able to submit, update, and modify your submission
all the way up to the deadline date of the opportunity. www.MusicAvatar.org

 <http://www.composerssite.com/new_opp> Composer's Site

Click Here for New Opportunities <http://www.composerssite.com/new_opp>

 <http://www.composerssite.com/expiring_opp> Composer's Site