[Voxnovus] Composer's Voice features Matthew Hetz - May 13, 2023 - 2:00 PM EDT (UTC-4)

New Voice in New Music voxnovus at voxnovus.com
Sat May 13 13:57:04 EDT 2023

Composer's Voice features Matthew Hetz with Argus Quartet performing his
work
"String Quartet No. 4 Blue" On Manhattan Neighborhood Network's
Lifestyle Channel 2
https://www.youtube.com/live/atnY60XZEkM

This episode of Composer's Voice features composer LosAngeles composers
Matthew Hetz and  theArgus Quartet performing his work "Blue". Argus
Quartet is a "vivacious foursome" (The New Yorker) is committed to
bringing thoughtful and personal programs to both seasoned listeners and
audiences new to classical music. The quartet enjoys projects that
celebrate collaboration, community, and risk-taking in venues of all
shapes and sizes.  Member of the quartet include: Clara Kim, violin;
Giancarlo Latta, violin; Maren Rothfritz, viola; and Mariel Roberts,
cello. This performance is part of a special program from Vox Novus
called Contemporary Quartets.

The show is simulcasted on YouTube here:

https://www.youtube.com/live/atnY60XZEkM

Please like, subscribe, and share!

Composer's Voice airs its half-hour show airing on NYC cable access TV
with ManhattanNeighborhood’s Network channel 2.

View on the following TV cable channels in Manhattan:

Channel 83 on RCN

Channel 67 on Spectrum

Channel 34 on Verizon FIOS

Watch and listen online at the following:

https://www.mnn.org/watch/channels/lifestyle-channel

Matthew Hetz, a Los Angeles native, began piano lessons at age 16 whose
primary teachers were Marlene Kendall and Howard Weisel, both students
of Jakob Gimpel. He began playing the violin at age 23-he is primarily
self-taught. Hetz studied composition with Marshall Bialovsky at Cal
StateDominguez Hills, from which he graduated Cum Laude. His works have
been performed throughout Los Angeles and nationwide, including Hetz
performing hispiano works at NACUSA concerts at Hollywood Piano Company,
Burbank; andSteinway Piano Gallery, Beverly Hills. Hetz is an instructor
at Emeritus/SantaMonica College. He is past president/executive director
of the Culver CitySymphony Orchestra/Marina del Rey Symphony, and also
plays in the orchestra. He is an environmental and mass transit
advocate. In 2021 Parma Records released the CD, Moto Eterno, with Trio
Casals, with Hetz’s work for cello and piano, “SarajevoCello,” on the
CD. The work was reviewed in Gramophone by Guy Rickards-"Sarajevo
Cellist by Matthew Hetz, its driving momentum is gripping,"and Jazz
Mania- “It opens with the magnificent “Sarajevo Cellist” by a
certainMatthew Hetz who is unknown to me."

Other works can be found at matthewhetz.com

String Quartet No. 4 Blue 2022 by Matthew Hetz
In my older years I am drawn increasingly towards tonality. For some
reason Iassociate colors with key signatures-synesthesia. While this is
very personal, and highly subjective, for me, A Major is Blue, and this
string quartet is basically in A Major. This work could be a bright
blue.