[Voxnovus] exciting opportunity for composers on Mar 23, 02:30 PM EDT to meet and ask questions to chromatic harmonicist player Hon Ning Cheung

New Voice in New Music voxnovus at voxnovus.com
Thu Mar 7 10:33:36 EST 2024

Hello All !!!

I have an exciting opportunity for composers on Mar 23, 02:30 PM EDT to
meet and ask questions to chromatic harmonicist player Hon Ning Cheung.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Osh7yqAG74Q

This is a great way to learn about an uncommon instrument.  Come and
join us and text us questions LIVE online.

I will also be holding a few spots to speak online to Hon Ning directly.
   This is a great way to make connections with musicians.

I will also be gathering questions if you can not attend live.

We will be announcing a call for Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame with chromatic
harmonicist player Hon Ning Cheung during the meet and greet.

Vox Novus is calling for one-minute pieces composed for solo chromatic
harmonica.  Selected works will be premiered for Fifteen-Minutes-of-Fame
with harmonicist Hon Ning Cheung. The performance will happen online in
the beginning of 2025.

PLEASE DM me with questions or participation requests.
I look forward to bringing this opportunity to the new music community!

-Robert Voisey

About the chromatic harmonica
14-hole chromatic harmonica will be used in this call
Range: G3 – D7

Below are two playlists for composers to get a general knowledge of
composing for chromatic harmonica and another recording playlist of
contemporary harmonica music.

Harmonica Tutorial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ywG4dSgqts&list=PLdA59ZlttAHvXAmhc1VwIqgchdgU4o2bI

Contemporary repertoires for chromatic harmonica:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_J3ybMFr7tWtCxW_fw-vWOwP_EaMt-JE

Hon Ning Cheung is a composer and chromatic harmonicist from Hong Kong.
She is currently doing composition bachelor at Conservatorium Maastricht
(NL) under the guidance of Prof. Vykintas Baltakas. Since 2019 she
learned chromatic harmonica guided by Shing Hei Leung, later she was
motivated to explore its timbral possibilities outside the standard
harmonica repertoires. In her music, she searches persistently for
uncertainty and fragmented narrative, inspired by nature, poetry and
memory. Founder & composer of Nefelibata New Music Collective since
2021, a group of musicians at Conservatorium Maastricht devoting to
creating concert projects inspired by humans, nature, and life. She has
been curating annual concert episodes with the collective musicians in
hopes of expanding contemporary harmonica repertories in chamber music
and collaborating actively with living composers abroad. Hon Ning has
premiered harmonica works by Oswald Huỳnh, Kyohei Sugihara, Riccardo
Perugini, Mario Pallas, Andy Janssen, and Tai Nakamura. In 2023,
together with Nefelibata Sinfonietta and conductor Txemi Etxebarria, she
brought the Dutch premiere of the violin concerto by Einojuhani
Rautavaara with chromatic harmonica.

--
Robert Voisey
RobVoisey at VoxNovus.com