[game_edu] loopy Proposal - The Aggies! / recognition for courses

Sarah Lemarié sarah_lemarie at scee.net
Wed Dec 5 05:21:40 EST 2007

> Interestingly this is one subject the press could lay into but haven't.

> SkillSet in England should pilot this.

I've been a little too short of time, frustratingly, to write more but in
place of a longer post I would at least like to mention that Skillset
*did* have an awards event for the courses that passed their computer
games accreditation scheme in the first round they ran in 2006! I was
there, and watched Abertay, Paisley and Glamorgan collect their awards and
make their speeches. I'd really like to see this event scaled up and
better publicised in place of starting something separate. If you think it
would benefit from a wider variety of awards, approach Carrie and Damien
and encourage them to consider what other incentives they could offer for
courses not yet in a position to apply for full accreditation.

Of course there was a quiet year following where Skillset didn't take
applications as 2006 was a pilot, but the scheme is open again now. I
really like the direction they are heading, the standards they have set,
and how industry driven it is. Please look to Skillset as a good
opportunity to boost your course; even where courses don't achieve
accreditation the first time around there's a lot of feedback involved and
the process is very positive (in my opinion).

With regards to this year, I'd be interested to know how many UK
universities with games courses did or didn't attend GamesEdu in July.
That was a good opportunity to meet with (or make) some industry contacts,
and skillset too are offering a benefits package for courses who achieve
accreditation that is specially geared towards keeping universities and
industry in close contact. I certainly saw some familiar faces at
GamesEdu, but not as many as I perhaps expected. It's nice to have an
annual event such as that to collect everyone together, and I'd like to
see us all making the most of it.

The article about Qantm Mike linked to is an interview with one of their
own people, so it's hardly surprising it's such a hard sell on their
approach and nothing else!

Talk to your university PR department. Send out your own press releases.
There's nothing stopping you from making a similar noise.

Sarah.
---
Sarah Lemarié
Technology Group, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe
w: www.technology.scee.net

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify postmaster at scee.net
This footnote also confirms that this email message has been checked for all known viruses.
Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Limited
Registered Office: 10 Great Marlborough Street, London W1F 7LP, United Kingdom
Registered in England: 3277793