[game_edu] cfp redux

Tom Dowd tomdowd at ameritech.net
Wed Dec 5 14:26:14 EST 2007

(my apologies if this is a duplicate - I believe I sent it previously, but I
cannot find it in my archive)

-----------------

CALL FOR PAPERS, INTERNATIONAL DIGITAL MEDIA AND ARTS ASSOCIATION JOURNAL -
SPECIAL THEMED ISSUE

The Journal of the International Digital Media and Arts Association is
currently seeking submissions for a special themed issue exploring the
interrelationship between electronic games, media, and art, entitled
"Narrative || Game || Art : Discovering the Nexus." The Journal of the
International Digital Media and Arts Association is a quarterly seeking to
respond to the rapidly developing field of digital media and arts in a
variety of settings - academic, educational, artistic, political, and
social. The editorial board invites original submissions that consider the
development, application, and understanding of digital media and arts. The
purpose of the journal is to promote awareness of this growing field and to
prompt discussion about the issues that are part of our increasingly digital
world.

In this special issue, we seek works that look at the questions surrounding
digital games as art, as well as how new relationships are developing
between digital games and "traditional" forms of storytelling. How can we
explore the presence of "art" or artistic elements in the aural, graphical,
narrative, and technical components of a video or computer game? How can we
explore the impact of digital games on areas such as film, television, fine
arts, etc.? If we accept that "cinema" and "literature" represent the
artistic subsets of motion pictures and novelized fiction respectively, what
do we see when we turn that critical eye at digital games? How, also, have
the aesthetics and artistic elements present in digital games affected
established media?

. the criteria for defining "art" in digital games, be it for the
entirety of a work or its components
. the position or potential of digital games in terms of art history
. improved vocabulary for critical review of digital games,
particularly in regards to art content or expression
. methods for cultivating artistic expression or content in digital
games
. methods for elevating narrative meaning and significance in digital
games
. observations on the cross-pollination between games, media and
traditional art
. review and/or critique of existing digital games and their artistic
merits (or pretensions thereof)
. the role of artistic exploration as part of game development
education
. how art manifests in technology (programming) and game design
(gameplay)
. how artistic elements in other media have influenced digital games,
and how digital games are influencing other media in return

The Journal of the International Digital Media and Arts Association is a
quarterly seeking to respond to the rapidly developing field of digital
media and arts in a variety of settings-academic, educational, artistic,
political, and social. The editorial board invites original submissions
that consider the development, application, and understanding of digital
media and arts; the purpose of the journal is promote awareness of this
growing field and to prompt discussion about the issues that are a part of
our increasingly digital world.

The journal is published online as a PDF document, with a once-a-year print
version (http://www.idmaa.org/). In keeping with the IDMAA's mission of
serving a wide range of educators, practitioners, scholars, and
organizations with interests in digital media, contributors are encouraged
to consider formats for their submissions that best suit the goal of the
author. To that end, contributions can take one of the following formats:

1) Traditional Peer-reviewed Research Articles

Authors interested in peer-review should indicate this with their
submission. Please provide author identification on the title page only.
This title page should also include: the complete title, postal address,
email address, and phone number. If the article refers to the author in any
way, please provide an alternative moniker for the purposes of blind review.
A second page should consist of a 75-100 word abstract. Please be sure to
utilize page numbering. Peer-reviewed articles are expected to be at least
15 pages long, and no longer than 25 (double-spaced)-including a final
section with notes and references. Notes and references should appear at
the end of the article, double-spaced. Please follow the current Chicago
Manual of Style.

2) Commentary and Criticism

Authors interested in non-peer-reviewed contributions should indicate this
with their submission. The title page should include: author's name, the
complete title, postal address, email address, and phone number. Please be
sure to utilize page numbering. Commentary and Criticism articles should be
at least 5 pages long, and no longer than 15 (double-spaced)-including a
final section with notes and references. Notes and references should appear
at the end of the article, double-spaced. Please follow the current Chicago
Manual of Style.

Commentary and Criticism contributors are encouraged to push the boundaries
of the traditional; the journal will consider interviews, opinion pieces and
editorials, reviews of books, articles, and digital media artwork, etc., as
well as shorter academic and scholarly articles.

All authors should send electronic versions of their article to Tom Dowd,
guest editor, at: tdowd at colum.edu. The electronic attachment should be a
word doc (.doc) or in rich text (.rtf). Please include in a separate
document a 75-100 word bio.

Final articles are due February 15, 2008

(Permission is granted to forward this notice to all appropriate mailing
lists and venues.)

-----
Tom Dowd
Columbia College Chicago
Faculty/Interactive Arts and Media (Game Design Major)
tdowd at colum.edu