[game_edu] looking for support data

S. Gold goldfile at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 16:04:03 EST 2007

I am going to make the school anonymous to hide the fact that some are still
rather archaic in their thinking, but I would like your help in getting data
to help dissuade the "powers that be" at that institution regarding games as
a part of CS education.

Here is the abbreviated story:

* Dean of school wanted to have an outside reviewer of CS curriculum.
* Reviewers were picked because of their high profile in computer science
education through the ACM. They also both are familiar with the mindset of a
small liberal arts college. The two reviewers were both computer science
professors (one male, one female) at very respectable schools. Both are long
time active (at a high level) members in education in the ACM. One has
played a big role in designing the ACM curriculum. These same reviewer is
very frequently called on to review departments.
* Came back to CS Chair and their comments were that school should "downplay
games".

note Chair of department said to me: This struck me as odd given that 1) we
don't even do a lot with games at the moment and 2) it goes against ACM
recommendations, not to mention a lot of computer science educators.

Now this particular school wants to go with the reviewers comments. The
department would like to get some data and other details showing information
to contrary. Ideally, that games do have a positive effect on CS program
development. Or possibly encouraging more students to pursue CS as a degree.
More so, that it would not scare away any potential female applicants.

Has anyone put together these type of materials for their own programs? What
have you had to do to get games in your CS program? I am very curious to
find out if we can put together a body of resources to share to help combat
situations like these.

Again, I would be most interested in not only finding out how you managed to
succeed in getting games in your program or how these situations finally get
resolved at your institution. Learning from each other is the best resource
I know.
I personally was asked to start our game program, so I did not fall into
this situation. Getting the rest of the faculty to concur is another issue,
as so many do not feel that games are worthy academic pursuit. But that is
not the battle today, the issue is how to educate administrators to the
benefits of games in computer science programs. Any new white papers, known
data resources, etc.. would be most beneficial.

Sincerely,
Susan

--
Prof. Susan Gold
Chair, IGDA Education SIG

"There's this game where you put in a dollar and you win four quarters. I
win every time." - Chris Griffin, Family Guy