[game_edu] Ian Bogost on NPR

Steve Swink sswink at flashbangstudios.com
Mon Apr 14 21:17:18 EDT 2008

Just heard the broadcast. Go Ian and go Heather! I made an ass of myself
once by trying to tell Ian that he's my favorite public representative of
the industry :). He comes across as articulate, intelligent, and unashamed
in all his public appearances, which is what we desperately need.

As for the topic: the change is coming. It's painfully gradual at the
moment, but things are happening, especially with the smaller indie
"artgames" like Jason Roher's games, Rod Humbles works, things like this.
It's a little frustrating that larger games that have a great potential for
expression skirt the issue but, hey, when more people want games to tackle
larger issues, they will begin to do so. Part of it is just a lack of
vocabulary. Expressing things through complex systems is complex and it
hasn't been done intentionally very often. I thought Call of Duty 4 made a
few stabs in that direction. I have high hopes for Far Cry 2, based on the
way that Clint Hocking speaks about design. I wish games like Civ would
grab some of their opportunities by the scruff and ride them out.

-Steve

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 6:03 PM, Tim Langdell <langdell at gmail.com> wrote:

> Not sure how many others heard it, but Ian was on an NPR piece this

> afternoon broadcast here in Los Angeles talking about the game industry not

> takling current issues unlike television and movies. Excellent stuff, Ian.

> Did anyone else hear this or have any thoughts on the topic?

> Tim Langdell, Ph.D.

> Associate Professor

> Lead Faculty, MFA in Videogame Production & Design

> Department of Media

> School of Media & Communication

> National University

> Los Angeles

> tlangdell at nu.edu

Steve Swink

Game Designer, Flashbang Studios
209 E. Baseline Suite 201 Tempe, AZ 85283

(480) 393-0885, Phone | (480) 626-5992, Fax
(480) 353-6763, Mobile

www.flashbangstudios.com
www.steveswink.com