[game_edu] Global Game Jam

S. Gold goldfile at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 01:04:01 EDT 2008

I have been working on finding a vehicle that would be able to bridge the
distance between each of us and think I have come up with a really exciting
project that I hope you will consider participating in, or possibly
sponsoring at your school, studio or organization. The SIG also will need
assistance pulling this off, as this is a global effort. What the SIG plans
to do is a Global Game Jam ­ 48 hours around the world, an experience in
creativity, innovation and experimentation. That is the same 48 hours ­
January 30th ­ February 1st, 2009. Everyone will be given similar
constraints and rules, but each time zone will get one unique constraint to
make their games just a little different and culturally diverse. The Nordic
Game Jam has honored us with being our flagship Game Jam. We would like to
see professional developers, students and wanabes come together and have an
incredible experience in collaboration and inventiveness. A Game Jam is not
a competition, it is unique "idea space" where sometimes things work,
sometimes they don't. The Global Game Jam will archive all of the games for
everyone to play.

Detail about what it is we are doing, how we plan to do it and what we are
looking for in hosts venues is up on the website:
http://www.globalgamejam.org.

We are looking for places to hold the local Game Jams. If you think you can
host a local jam, please follow the instructions on the website and email
the details to: info at globalgamejam.org.

I am looking for people outside of North America to help promote the Global
Game Jam idea. We also need help in translating materials into various
languages. The Nordic Game Jam White Paper is currently being translated
from Danish to English, but we will also need Spanish, French, Japanese (I
have someone helping me with the Chinese). We would love to see a local Game
Jam in the Mid-East, Africa, Latin America, Russia, Asia... you name it.
This is going to be a global experiment and the SIG will not be able to do
it without your assistance. This is not just for students, this is a way to
bring everyone interested in video games, young or old, together in the
spirit of making games. No experience is necessary, but it sure helps.

Official announcement of the Global Game Jam will take place at the Sandbox
Symposium (http://sandbox.siggraph.org/) co-located at SIGGRAPH in Los
Angeles this weekend. However, I thought I would give the listserv a
heads-up.

Sincerely,

Susan

--
Susan Gold
goldfile at gmail.com

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."
Oscar Wilde