[game_edu] R4 the Win!

Tom Kim podcast at gamasutra.com
Thu Feb 7 06:54:21 EST 2008

Hello Mike-

Here are my answers:
1) I own a DS Lite.
2) I have not heard of the R4 cartridge.
3) I was not aware that one could use it for home brew DS software.
4) I was not aware that it can be used to access all games.
5) I was not aware that I could pirate games that I do not own.
6) I do not own one.

Hope that covers all the bases!

-Tom Kim

On Feb 7, 2008 2:34 AM, Mike Reddy <Mike.Reddy at newport.ac.uk> wrote:

> Could I ask a favour of list readers who teach in Higher Education?

> YOu may have seen recent stories, then retractions re ELSPA quoting 90%

> piracy in the US for the DS with R4 cards. I'd like to do some quick and

> dirty research into this. Therefore, could you in your next set of

> classes ask the following questions and get a tote of hands up:

> 1) Do you own a DS Original (Phat) or Lite?

> 2) Have you heard of the R4 cartridge?

> 3) Do you know that it is used for home brew DS software?

> 4) Do you know that it can be used to give access to all your games in

> one cartridge?

> 5) Do you know that it can be used to pirate games that you don't own?

> 6) Do you own one?

> Ball park figures please, and suitably anonymous. I have about 100

> students, the majority of whom have DS or PSP. Only one has an R4

> cartridge, which he tells me he uses for use 4 above. I use mine for use

> 3 above.

> Would be interested in opinions on this technology...

> --

> Dr. Mike Reddy, Future Technology, Games Development and A.I.,

> Department of Computing,

> Newport Business School, University of Wales, Newport, Allt-yr-yn

> Campus,

> PO Box 180 Newport South Wales NP20 5XR

> Tel: +44 (0) 1633 432452 Fax: +44 (0)1633 432307 Mob: +44 (0)7971 170

> 199

> Email: mike.reddy @ newport.ac.uk (remove spaces)

Tom Kim
Executive Producer