[game_edu] R4 the Win!

Mike Reddy Mike.Reddy at newport.ac.uk
Thu Feb 7 03:34:22 EST 2008

Could I ask a favour of list readers who teach in Higher Education?

YOu may have seen recent stories, then retractions re ELSPA quoting 90%
piracy in the US for the DS with R4 cards. I'd like to do some quick and
dirty research into this. Therefore, could you in your next set of
classes ask the following questions and get a tote of hands up:

1) Do you own a DS Original (Phat) or Lite?
2) Have you heard of the R4 cartridge?
3) Do you know that it is used for home brew DS software?
4) Do you know that it can be used to give access to all your games in
one cartridge?
5) Do you know that it can be used to pirate games that you don't own?
6) Do you own one?

Ball park figures please, and suitably anonymous. I have about 100
students, the majority of whom have DS or PSP. Only one has an R4
cartridge, which he tells me he uses for use 4 above. I use mine for use
3 above.

Would be interested in opinions on this technology...

--
Dr. Mike Reddy, Future Technology, Games Development and A.I.,
Department of Computing,