[game_edu] Ad Hoc committee

Yusuf Pisan ypisan at it.uts.edu.au
Fri Feb 29 06:28:27 EST 2008

Doing accreditation right is difficult and resource intensive. Doing it
badly (or lightly) is not worth it.

I do not see the that IGDA has sufficient resources to conduct a serious
accreditation at this point. For me, accreditation would have to include
site visits, examining course outlines carefully, looking at sample
student projects, and talking with both students and teachers. This gets
expensive quickly.

There are many different academic programs. The advice from "industry"
is not yet uniform, and it may never be. I would like to see IGDA remain
in advisory capacity, collecting examples of best practice, or just
successful case studies, until the field matures further.

I was heavily involved in updating the Curriculum Framework from the
2003 to the 2008 version. It is all volunteer time, and volunteer time
is hard to come by. I know lots of people who did not provide feedback
because there were many urgent things that they needed to do as part of
their job. Accreditation would be orders of magnitude harder, very time
consuming and resource intensive.

I'd like to suggest a way forward. Can we come up with a set of
'graduate skills and attributes' (my university's jargon) that we expect
a student who has graduated from a "games program"?

My bet is that even before we can answer this question, we first have to
expand on different kinds of games programs

Bsc in Game Development
Bsc in Game Programming
BA in Game Studies
BA in Animation & Games

Let's work out what are the subbaranches first, then list what we expect
graduates to know and then we can talk about accreditation.

Cheers,

Yusuf

--
A/Professor Yusuf Pisan