[game_edu] Games 4 Change

S. Gold goldfile at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 18:09:14 EST 2008

G4C CALL FOR PROPOSALS 2008

Games for Change is happy to announce a call for proposals for the 5th
Annual Games for Change Festival on June 2 - 4 at Parsons, the New School
for design in New York City.

PROPOSALS ARE DUE FEBRUARY 11th to events at gamesforchange.org.

Confirmed speakers include Jim Gee and Henry Jenkins in a keynote
conversation (in honor of our Fifth!) and many others!

Exciting new activities and partners are in the works, including a day-long
101 workshop for those new to the field (aimed especially at non-profits) on
the first day of the festival June 2nd, confirmed presenters there include
Barry Joseph (Global Kids), Eric Zimmerman (GameLab), Heather Chaplin,
(journalist/author) Katie Salen (Gamelab Institute of Play) Ian Bogost
(Persuasive Games) and Alan Gershenfeld (E-Line Ventures, formerly of
Activision).  Along with 2 full days of festival programming on June 3rd and
4th, there will be media and funders briefings, working group breakfasts,
Expo Night and lots of networking!

For a list of panel criteria, please see below.

Please send your panel proposal to events at gamesforchange.org

We look forward to seeing your proposals!  New voices and perspectives
welcome!

Suzanne

CRITERIA:
- The best way to get a sense of what kind of panels we do, please see our
previous events: 2006 & 2007: http://www.gamesforchange.org/conference/2006
<http://www.gamesforchange.org/conference/2007/>
http://www.gamesforchange.org/conference/2007
<http://www.gamesforchange.org/conference/2007/>
We are looking for:
- Presenters with both expertise and the ability to communicate their
knowledge effectively and engagingly - don't be dull!
- Lively discussions rather than dry Powerpoint presentations
- A diversity of opinion is best.  Try to include differing viewpoints, a
little constructive conflict, a lively debate
- Panels can be 45 mins, 60 mins or 90 mins (in special circumstances)
- No advertisements! No product presentations or software tutorials
- Show your game during the Expo Night, not during your panel
- You can show parts of the game, gameplay specifics, etc. to illustrate or
clarify a point
- Moderators can be non-experts, though should be well-informed and good at
sparking discussion.  Best if they are neutral parties, not
product-promoters.  Journalists are great, other possibilities include
professors, department heads, etc.  People who speak often in front of
classes or audiences.

Suzanne Seggerman
President, Co-founder
Games for Change
http://www.gamesforchange.org
cell: 917.478.4772

--
Susan Gold
goldfile at gmail.com

³In a completely sane world, madness is the only freedom!² - J. G. Ballard